What purpose or job is the bra doing after breast bottom out revision? (photos)

Conflicting answers, but not clear about their function .What is the actual function of the bra?- to act as a sling to hold up-off the sutures so then can heal and scar tissue can form? My doctor mentioned underwire, however that sits on my ribs and offer no upper support. I am using a snug sports bra thicker band by my ribs and to lift up breast? The bra they gave me pushes me together and never touched my ribs. I have 27.5 rib cage and 34.5 around largest part of my breast. I can choose the right type if i understand the job of the bra. pleaseHELP

Bra or no

Each doctor is a bit different regarding bras.  If a pocket repair is performed especially for a bottoming out, I sometimes place patients in a Thong like bra.

Bra post augmentation/revision

Britnay,
Thanks for your question.
The bra is used to reduce swelling and brusing as well as for support.  The underwire one is to aid in the inframammary crease support to inhibit bottoming out as the capsule (scar tissue) heals.  If the bra is bothering you, try using foam or gauze to pad the bottom.Always follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions.Best of luck.
Dr. Taranow

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Wearing a Compression Bra Following Surgery

The #compression #bra acts as a “dressing,” holding the breasts in position. If the bra feels too tight or hurts, switch immediately to sports type bra that feels comfortable. You should wear the bra at all times for at least three weeks. You will probably be more comfortable if you do not wear an underwire bra but you should always wear support.
It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Purpose of bra after bottoming out revision

Thank you for your questions and photo's.  All bra's after augmentation and revisions help support and compress for swelling purposes.  Your PS probably wants you in an underwire due to your bottoming out history.  The underwire will help keep pressure on the infra-mammary fold.  If your scar is tender where the wire is , you may want to pad it with a little gauze.  

Chad Robbins, MD