Chemical Peel and Laser Treatment for Rosacea?

Will a combination of chemical peel and laser treatment be effective for rosacea?

Treatments for Rosacea

We tell our patients, the right rosacea treatments and medical therapy can help control and manage this condition. Without treatment, the condition can get worse. Because the signs and symptoms of rosacea can vary from one patient to another, we customize treatments based on each individual patient.
These rosacea treatments can include a mix of topical treatments (including antibiotics and anti-inflammatory gels) and oral medications (including antibiotics), only if absolutely necessary. We try to avoid oral prescriptions and our patients appreciate our approach which is unique to our practice. Oral medications can help to reduce inflammation and clear up breakouts.
Our patients have achieved impressive results with our state-of-the-art lasers and/or intense pulsed light therapy; these treatments help to remove the visible blood vessels from the face—clearing up redness and dramatically improving the overall look of skin.

Peel No; Laser Will Help

A chemical peel for Rosacea is a bad idea. The alcohol in the peeling agent will often flare this condition. I have seen a number of patients through the years who, being convinced at a medi-spa that a peel would be helpful, underwent the procedure. They then consulted me since their face was red and flushed. Anything that dries quickly seems to activate the blood vessels causing dilatation; just what you do not want with rosacea.

On the other hand, IPL and lasers will help. However, if your expectations are too high you might be disappointed. I have seen definite improvement with the IPL ( in the green spectrum) and the pulsed dye laser. But I rarely see total resolution.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Treatment for Rosacea

If you have true acne rosacea with the white bumps as well as redness then a light chemical peel might be beneficial for the acne component. For the redness a chemical peel will be of no benefit. The treatment for the vascular component of acne rosacea is a vascular laser. Usually either IPL or pulsed dye laser is used.