Can a Columellar Strut Be Removed?

I'm 3 months PO. I had rhinoplasty just to narrow my bridge from a frontal view--I was happy with strong profile.The most important thing I emphasized was that I didn't want to lose any length at ANY cost. As it were there was too much space between my nose and lip. He said that some"tip projection" was necessary to narrow the nose, but it seems to have just given my tip the upward trajectory I'd hoped to avoid and raised the 'weighty' part of my tip higher on my face. Can these be removed?

Columella strut

A columella strut can be removed but may impact tip projection.  Best to check with your surgeon.

Removal of a Columellar Strut

Yes the columellar strut can be removed, but your dissatisfaction may not be secondary to the strut. Raising your tip may have been caused by suture fixation of of the tip in an elevated position. A copy of your operative report and a careful examination by an experienced revision specialist will provide an answer your question.

Can a Columellar Strut Be Removed?

Swelling can persist for up to a year or more, and I would not do anything at this point.  The tip tends to fall over time as swelling resolves.   The struts can be removed easily enough.   Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, operative time, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed etc.

Can a columellar strut be removed?

The simple answer is yes, Buttttt I would wait at least 6 months before any revisionary surgery  and the tip will de-project over time with any rhinoplasty. Discuss with your PS and express your displeasure, good luck!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Columellar strut

You are still early in your post operative period at three months.  As your surgeon informed you, it will take up to one full year before final results.  If the strut needs to be removed, it can be...discuss your concern with your surgeon at your next visit.

Terrence Higgins, MD

Can the columellar strut be removed

The strut in the columella can improve tip projection and contribute to tip rotation. If the tip is over rotated just removing the strut may not allow the tip to come down, but it may be worth a try if you are very unhappy with the outcome.