can a columellar strut be immediately removed???

I agreed to placement of a columellar strut and dorsal graft to correct some problems from a prior rhinoplasty. One of my complaints was that the previous surgery blunted my nose, which was already short for my face.  My surgeon never told me that the strut would rotate the tip up, until I was prepped for surgery. I told him before the surgery lightheartedly, not to make my nose like this, then pushed up on the front. In response, he told me the strut would "rotate" the tip. I repeated that I did not want this result, but had already had a pre-op med, and after some discussion, thought I was agreeing to have the strut but he would avoid this result. Of course, my tip is rotated. If he removed it right away, even at my expense, wouldn't that be preferable to having it heal in place?  I do not think that I can bear it psychologically to wait and wait and wait for another surgery again.  If it was infected, he could remove it, so why not even if it is not infected? 

Upturned tip

You don't mention how far post-op you are but I agree with others that you should at least wait a few months as the tip will certainly drop down

Removal of columellar strut

Your question highlights the importance of a thorogh preop discussion, informed consent and understanding of the procedure you are about to undergo. Having said that, yes you certainly can have the implant removed, but be aware that you tip may "collapse" more than you want. The problem may just be that the implant is too big and triming some of it might give you the result your are looking for.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Immediate surgery after a rhinoplasty

Even with the placement of a strut during rhinoplasty, there is some expected tip dropping that occurs postoperatively. I would not recommend immediate removal and wait at least six to twelve months for your nose to heal. I would also discuss your concerns with your surgeon. There are things that can be done to mitigate upward tip rotation during the healing process if it is a concern after you discuss this with your surgeon.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and strut

I do not think rushing into anything is the right course of action.  Discuss this at length with your surgeon.  It may be that the result will change over time.  If after waiting a reasonable amount of time then removal may be an option, but once again you need to have a conversation with your surgeon.

Want strut removed after Rhinoplasty

I have perofmed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, you should be able to discuss this with your Rhinoplasty surgeon to ascertain whether the tip rotation is something that will get better with time or it won' which case you should speak about him/her removing the columellar strut.