Help for uneven eyelid creases (Photo)

I have facial asymmetry, what bothers me are my asymmetrical eyelids. From what I can tell this asymmetry was not noticeable or present when I was a child. My left eye is normal. My right eye has a droopy appearance and appears to have a much lower crease. Normally skin hangs over the lash line on my right eye. On very rare occasions my right eye refold itself to a higher crease but it never stays for more than a day. I don't know why my eye appears this way and want desperately to fix it.

Doctor Answers 3

Eyelid Concerns

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos.  Based on your photos and description, it appears that you may have a combination of issues affecting your eyelid asymmetry.  There is some evidence of what's called "orbital dystopia" which in layman's terms means that your right eyeball and socket is lower than your left.  The differences in eyelid crease and position with differrent facial expressions is also suggestive of right eyelid drooping or ptosis.  This may be a result of acquired or congenital looseness of one of the muscles that lifts your upper eyelid.  The lid ptosis can be improved with an upper eyelid lift with ptosis repair.  Orbital dystopia that is as mild as yours is typically not treated.  With eyelid ptosis repair, you can expect significant improvement, but you would still remain slightly asymmetric due to the dystopia.  Only an in person consultation and exam would confirm these suggestions.  Best wishes.

Asymmetric Asian eyelid crease

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Eyelid crease asymmetry is usually due to asymmetric upper eyelid position (asymmetric ptosis) and asymmetric overlying skin. It can be made more symmetric. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

You have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a very full subbrow area.  You need upper eyelid ptosis repair with upper blepharoplasty.  You need more structure than removal of tissue.  I recommend that you see a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that can help you find a highly qualified surgeon.  Get more than one opinion.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.