Six weeks post OP TT/Lipo--flanks/thighs Swelling/Extended lower tummy not better at all? Bigger now than pre-surgery, (photo)

I had a full TT with lipo six weeks ago--I'm 5'9 and weigh 145. I've had 5 babies and needed help Went yesterday as I am still so big in my lower tummy-wear compression 24/7. My doctor states it's not fluid (NO ultra sound done) and wants me to consider further lipo? Very concerned as I can FEEL fluid in my tummy. He stated we could try "triipolar" therapy for next six weeks--I'm seeing very mixed reviews and nothing that supports this for post TT. I'm considering a second opinion.

Fluid concerns

Good morning!
Always difficult to tell without an exam, but it sounds like you have a fluid collection- known as a seroma- that will likely require drainage.  In some cases when the seroma has been long standing, a capsule forms that precludes easy resolution of this without additional surgery.Please go see your PS as soon as possible. I hope this helps

Six weeks post OP TT/Lipo

Hi,  Its just 6 weeks following surgery and your results are pretty good,go thank your surgeon.your pelvis is wide otherwise there is no fullness,congrats you are lucky your board certified surgeon has done a good job.  However get an usg done to clear any nagging doubts,if you have in your mind.

Thangavel Ayyappan, MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Still settling out following TT

Thanks for your question and congrats on your surgery. I can appreciate your frustration but it is still early. Combining the lipo/TT results in impaired lymphatics which must be re-established to help clear the swelling. Lymphatic massage can be helpful. If there is free fluid (seroma) that is easily detected on exam and no ultrasound is needed. If this has been ruled out by the surgeon then it's likely just a matter of time. I think the contouring you got looks very good. Hang in there. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Lower tummy not better

Rebecca007,Six weeks is a good long time after surgery, so I can understand your frustration.  Looking at your photos though, I do see a good amount of improvement in your lower tummy from the time you got your drain out to today.  There is still some fullness, but it does look much flatter.  Some persistent fluid will definitely prolong the process - but it will go away.  Keep wearing your binder and try to be patient.  If you feel a second opinion would help your state of mind, go for it, but I think you have a really nice result!  And I see definite improvement from the last two pictures.  What a tiny little waist you have now!  Good for you.  Hang in there.  I think you will get where you want to be very soon.M. Renee Jespersen MD

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Six weeks post OP TT/Lipo--flanks/thighs Swelling/Extended lower tummy not better at all? Bigger now than pre-surgery,

It's still early for final judgement. Sometimes, when the lower fat and skin are removed - the area from  bellybutton to inguinal crease may appear to bulge out. There are several anatomic explains of this but usually can be predicted pre-operatively. Give it time, wear your binder- if it's fluid it will eventually resorb