Should I consider getting Labiaplasty? (Photo)

I have discomfort especially when wearing tight clothing , like jeans and workout clothing, and when exercising. Also, I have been very self conscious about it for years, therefore, it has interfered with other activities.

Should you get labiaplasty?

First, let me reassure you that your labia appearance is normal. However there is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Should I consider getting Labiaplasty?

Thank you for your question and I can certainly understand your concerns.  The decision to pursue any elective surgery is a very personal one and one that you should make based on how your current appearance impacts your quality of life.  There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal. Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. In these instances, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing. Find a labiaplasty surgeon that can help provide you with the information to make the best choice.

Sounds like you've answered your own question

By posting a photo and asking, you're already someone who would benefit from a labiaplasty. Please. Please. Be very selective. Do your homework. This is not like a breast aug where a bunch of doctors can give you a pretty similar result. This is a sub-specialist procedure that requires an expert. Shop around. Travel if you need to. Skype consults. See a bunch of before and afters. Read reviews... Study.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. If the hanging skin from your labia minora is causing you discomfort then I think you would benefit from a labiaplasty to remove that excess tissue. It is a simple procedure which can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!
 Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Labial discomfort

Although your labial have a normal appearance, the protrusion of the labia minora are causing you discomfort, both physically and psychologically.   A labiaplasty procedure,  removing the tissue that is bothersome for you, would resolve your symptoms.   This could be done in a office setting under local anesthesia.Best wishes!

Labiaplasty candidates

It looks like you are a great candidate for labiaplasty, to reduce the size of your labia minora.  It may be performed under local anesthesia and is likely to accomplish your goals.

David Stoker, MD

Labiaplasty

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora are enlarged but not massively enlarged. Of most importance, they cause you discomfort.  In that case, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty

Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are feeling this way. Labiaplasty is a very common procedure.. I do this treatment via local anaesthetic and the patient can go home the same day. Labia reduction surgery involves removing the excess tissue to keep the size and shape symmetrical. Scars are well hidden with the natural folds of the skin. The result is more defined and neat, The procedure  only takes roughly 60 - 90 minutes to complete and you will feel much more comfortable afterwards and hopefully more confident. Recovery is also very quick and the downtime is usually about a week. You may have some swelling and have a little bit of discomfort. Please ensure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck for the future. 

You have the same symptoms as many labiaplasty patients, but the decision to have surgery is yours alone.

Labiaplasty is a personal decision, not the result of a survey of strangers regardless of whether or not they are labiaplasty experts. Your concerns are identical to those of many of my patients, but they don't come in for surgery because of what other people think.

Labiaplasty

Yes, you would be a good candidate for a labiaplasty. I see women of all ages that share your exact same concerns. I would recommend finding an experienced surgeon that you feel comfortable with that can deliver you the results that you desire. Many times you get what you pay for. Choose wisely. Best wishes.