How old do you have to be for a tummy tuck? I have a pouch in my belly that won't go away even with exercise (Photo)

18 is the minimum age requirement for most plastic surgery procedures including tummy tuck.

You need to be at least 18 years old to have a tummy tuck, however, there are factors other than your age to consider. A tummy tuck removes excess fat and loose skin from the abdomen, and pregnancy can undo the effects of this cosmetic surgery. For this reason, many women wait to have a tummy tuck until they have completed their family. Although it’s difficult to assess from just one photo, you may be a candidate for liposuction rather than a tummy tuck, as liposuction targets stubborn pockets of fat that won’t go away despite diet and exercise. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Tummy tuck age limit?

For anyone to have surgery,, especially elective procedures such as tummy tuck, it is important to be in good health, possess maturity so as to understand the risks and limitations of plastic surgery and to possess a reasonable expectation for the outcome. One should ideally be finished with child bearing. You may only need liposuction to reduce an unwanted bulge on the tummy. More photos from different angles will help to make a more detailed opinion. When you consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon, make certain that your surgeon can demonstrate plenty of experience dealing with your condition.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

How old do you have to be for a tummy tuck? I have a pouch in my belly that won't go away even with exercise

If you have no significant medical problems and you are done with having kids, you may be a great candidate for a TT. Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

With the one photo that you submitted and the lack of a medical history it is hard to tell whether liposuction or a TT  should be performed. But if a TT is needed I would not recommend doing it until you have finished your pregnancies.

George Lefkovits, MD

How old do you have to be for a tummy tuck?

Hello there,Thank you for your question. Patients in the past have undergone cosmetic surgery at an early age with the discretion of his/her parents and the doctor. A patient should be at least 18 years old to undergo a tummy tuck but there have been exceptions. It all depends on what the surgeon would be comfortable with. You may want to take some time to think about it if you are younger than 18. Also, please talk to your parents. Your safest option is to maintain healthy eating habits and daily exercise before you make any decisions. If you are of age, a doctor would be happy to consult you. If you are younger than 18, you should try calling their office to see if they would accept you. I hope that helps and I wish you the best of luck!
 I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Aesthetic Surgery
CERTIFIED: American Board of Plastic Surgery
CERTIFIED: American Board of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS)
              American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
              International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
              American Academy of Facial Plastic Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
              American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery (AAOHNS)
              American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS)
              The Rhinoplasty Society Phone: 412-446-0391 Fax: 412-446-0391

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Age for lipo

Hello and thanks. The age may vary from surgeon to surgeon. A mature 18 or 19 year old may have a liposuction procedure depending upon ones goals. 

How old should you be to have a tummy tuck

There isn't really an age requirement.Usually for cosmetic surgery, like a tummy tuck, we require that you are 18 years old at least. The issue with a tummy tuck is that it usually involves removing excess skin and tightening the abdominal muscles. If you choose to become pregnant and have children, you may require muscle tightening in the future. (Often, these muscle separate to allow space for the baby). Best wishes!