Can I get a tummy tuck or should I lose more weight first? (Photo)

I have loose skin and a lot of stretch marks from having children. Can I get a successful tummy tuck or do I need to lose weight first?

Can I get a tummy tuck or should I lose more weight first?

Thank you for your question.  The best tummy tuck results are possible when you only have loose skin and very little fat beneath the skin prior to the tummy tuck.  Pinch your abdominal skin between her thumb and index finger.  The best candidates for tummy tuck or able to pinch 1 inch.  If you can pinch 2 or more inches and weight loss prior to your tummy tuck should improve your chances for an excellent result.

Tummy tuck

Always best to get as close to your desired weight as you can before a tummy tuck.  Usually within 10-15 pounds of your target. The more weight that you lose first, the better your result will be!

Dean Fardo, MD

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and photos. Based off of your photos you looks like a great candidate for a tummy tuck. You are a good candidate if you have some skin looseness, some muscle laxity, and some fatty fullness. If you still want to lose weight to get to an ideal weight then I would do so before having the procedure done. The closer you are to you are to your ideal weight the better the results of the tummy tuck procedure will be and I think you will be much happier with the overall results. Hope this helps,Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

Tummy Tuck candidate

Hello, thanks for your inquiry and for your pictures, I would say that you are a wonderful candidate for a tummy tuck. It is always recommended to lose weight in order to get to your ideal weight prior your procedure. It will make your surgery safer and your results even better.  But it is up to you, you can still have nice results after your surgery.  Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Weight Loss

You will always achieve your best result when at your ideal weight.  Unfortunately, few of us are at our ideal weight.  However, if you are within 10-20 pounds of your ideal weight you would still be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty procedure.  If you are striving to lose much more than that it would be preferable to do so first and then proceed with surgery.

Can I get a tummy tuck or should I lose more weight first

A tummy tuck at your present weight will remove excess skin and make you look flatter, but if you were to lose weight prior to the surgery they would be able to remove more skin as well as tighten the muscles to a greater degree, giving you a better result

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck: Loose weight first or not?

This is a great question. If you are within 10-15lbs of your goal weight, an abdominoplasty will help you tighten your stomach area and remove loose skin/stretch marks. If you are actively losing 50 lbs, it is better to lose that weight first prior to your abdominoplasty so that you can have more skin removed. Women tend to go up and down 10-15lbs their entire life - so I lean towards having the abdominoplasty if you are within this range so that you can really enjoy your body. Best wishes!

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Thank you for your question.  You are definately a candidate for a tummy tuck to address the loose skin and muscles associated with childbearing.  Having said that, it is advisable to reach a reasonable baseline weight that is realistic for you to maintain.  There after a tummy tuck with or without liposuction will assist you further in reaching your goals.  Take a look at the link below for more detail about weight loss before body contouring. Best wishes!

Tummy tuck

I will not proceed if the BMI is > 30. It looks like you are close though and then you'll get a safe, better cosmetic result. You will have a great result. Lipo of the waist is something you will want to consider to complete trimming of the mid-section. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I would recommend you loose weight with diet and exercise first re evaluate and plan for surgery. Good luck