Is my swelling not going down due to smoking?

My doctor cleared me to smoke after 4 weeks. So I'm smoking now. My doctor said I would be a b cup. I'm still not And im 5 weeks post reduction. Can these be cause I'm smoking.

Although the use of nicotine can be detrimental in very serious ways, it is not contributing to long-term swelling.  Generally, it takes several months for swelling to completely dissipate and up to six months (or even longer) for patients to see the final outcome achieved with breast reduction surgery. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Breast reduction at 4 weeks

At 4 weeks post-op you are likely still quite swollen. Smoking may also slow down the healing process as well.

Swelling and Smoking

At 4 weeks you still have some swelling from the surgery, and your breasts should continue to settle and change for the next few months.  Regarding smoking, it is probably not contributing to the swelling.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast reduction - not the cup size i expected

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• Four weeks after a breast reduction, you are still very swollen.
  • Your swelling will subside over the next five months.
  • Smoking is probably not causing the swelling but it is a terrible habit.
  • Please, please work on quitting the habit - I am an ex-smoker and I know it can be done!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS