Permanent lip solution to make them bigger? (Photo)

Is there a permenant lip enhancement that can make these bigger? If yes, what kind? I'm very afraid of the implants because I've had allergy sensitivities in the past and don't know how my body would respond. Scarring doesn't scare or bother me. Thank everyone kindly for your feedback.

Lip Filler Solutions

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. Fat grafting is considered a permanent alternative to the temporary results achieved with dermal fillers. If you have never added volume to your lips, I recommend trying a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane Silk or Juvederm Volbella. This will provide you with a good indicator of your volume requirements and also allow you to preview what more permanent results will look like. Fat transfer involves harvesting fat from a donor area, such as the abdomen or inner thighs, purifying the fat cells, and injecting the final product into the desired area. Approximately 50% of the injected fat will take permanently, however multiple treatments may be necessary for optimal results. I recommend consulting with a board-certified specialist who can make more specific recommendations for you during an in-person evaluation. 

Permanent option for lips

Be careful with lip implants.

Some surgeons will swear by them and may get consistently good results, but permanent implants in the lips have the potential for many problems.  Irrespective of the potential long-term issues, implants simply don't have the subtle variation, finesse, and ability for customization like fillers do.

Hyaluronic acid fillers are the only option I use for lip enhancement for that reason.

Other permanent or semi-permanent options would include fat injections and grafting of your own tissue such as with a strip of SMAS or dermal graft to provide volume.  Again, all of these options provide bulk, but lip enhancement shouldn't be just about volume.  What looks best is using a filler to careful highlight and enhance your natural features while bringing the upper and lower lip volume into balance.

David W. Rodwell III, MD
Charleston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer for Lip Augmentation

I appreciate your concern and it sounds like you are a good candidate for fat transfer to augment your lips. I am also not a fan of permanent implants because they often look fake and shift position, requiring removal. Fat transfer can be done in the office under local anesthesia, takes about one hour and studies demonstrate that 50-80% of transferred fat is permanent. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Perfecting the Pout--Lip Augmentation that Works, Fillers (Perlane, Voluma), Implants, Fat

Permanent solutions would be implants or fat. My suggestion however, is to have an HA filler for your lip augmentation, it looks much more natural and can give a more natural contour.  With the advances of dermal/soft tissue reversible fillers, there are better options for this location with less risk of long term complications.  Sometimes fat doesn't always take and then you can be left with lumps and asymmetries.  I still do this treatment, but I find the reversible fillers to give a more natural appearance. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Permanent lip solution to make them bigger?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  The most common method of lip augmentation is through the use of dermal fillers.  Although temporary they allow for greater flexibility in outcome shape and volume.  Options that provide longer-lasting results include Permalip silicone implants and fat grafting.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your desired goal result and treatment option

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is small compared to your lower and your chin is weak. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant for a permanent enhancement.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Permalip Lip Implants

Thank you for your question. Lip fillers are effective but are a temporary solution lasting between 4-6 months on average. There is an implant procedure called 'Permalip' which gives fantastic results and is permanent.Under local anaesthetic the lip will be numbed with with a quick dental injection for your comfort. Once anaesthetised, two small incisions are made just inside the corners of the mouth where it can not be seen. A small tunnel is made under the skin of the lip where the soft silicone Permalip implant is passed through. Once in place the incisions inside the mouth are closed with absorbable sutures. The procedure takes approximately just 20 to 30 minutes. The tiny incisions heal quickly and are invisible from the outside of your mouth. You may experience some swelling and bruising but this usually only lasts a week and cold compresses can be used to reduce this. The results are lovely and natural yet still giving you that plump you would like

I would suggest researching surgeons near you and to always check they are board-certified. I hope you find the solution you desire.

Thank you, All The Best 

HA Fillers for Lip Augmentation

More permanent solutions would be implants or fat. I would recommend hyaluronic acid filler (HA) for lip augmentation. HA fillers look more natural then implants or fat. Also, if you do not like the look of HA fillers it can dissolved with hyaluronidase. Make sure you see an expert injector. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lips for the holidays

Yes. There are permanent options for lip augmentation. As you said implants are one but I agree with you the infection and allergy component is an issue.

Fat transfer to the lips is a great option. It is your own bodies tissue so the risks of rejection is obsolete. There is still an infection risks but it is minimal if done with sterile refined technique (go to someone who does a lot of lipo).

The down point are swelling and bruising which is inevitable. Patients say it is worth it though. The results are natural and ejoyed!. you have a great bottom lip. I think just medially on your upper lip from the photos.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon