My neck concerns me, does it appear to look normal? (photos)

I've always thought that having fat in my neck was something normal, until I had my physical done--a doctor pointed out that my neck looks a bit abnormal which scared me. I'm 18 now and I'm hoping that eventually as the years go by it would start to go away. So is the look of my neck something that should be concerning?

Neck - is the fat normal?

Thank you for asking about the fat in your neck.
  • Your photo suggests that although your neck is a variant of normal - unusual but not deformed.
  • An exam is needed to be sure this is fat, not an enlarged thyroid gland or thyroid malfunction.
  • If it is fat, liposuction is the standard treatment.
  • Another option is Kybella - an office injection that dissolves fat. 
  • It would be off-label use and your plastic surgeon must be sure the fullness is entirely fat.  
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

This area can be improved with mybella or liposuction/skin tightening. I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck swelling

it is a bit unusual for fat to be in this distribution. The thyroid gland can cause enlargement in that area but if that is not a concern, liposuction can achieve a safe outcome in the hands of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for liposuction

It would appear that you are a reasonable candidate for liposuction. Here is some helpful information about Lipostuction: If you have excessive subcutaneous fat, which is resistant to diet and exercise.
If you wish to change the contours of your body. Commonly involved areas are the anterior part of the neck (under the chin), upper arms and armpits, male chest/breasts, trunk abdomen, waist, hips, thighs, inner knees, calves, and ankles.
Most patients are near normal weight and desire permanent contour changes. Patients with average weight, localized fat collections, and healthy elastic skin are the best candidates for liposuction. Obesity, cellulite, or loose, sagging, and inelastic skin are several conditions which may tend towards less desirable results. In fact, these problems may be worsened by liposuction. Unfortunately, many individuals performing liposuction are not trained in other techniques of body contouring and may not have the experience to recognize that a different procedure (such as a tummy tuck) may provide a better result for the patient. Suction Assisted Lipectomy (SAL) may be used in conjunction with other body contouring procedures, such as breast reduction, tummy tuck, thigh lift, or facelift.