Do you think this looks like an Infection? (photos)

It very swollen, warm to touch, PAINFUL and really hurts when I walk or sit. Starting to itch too. I called dr and emailed this pick and nurse said the incision is not infected and thinks the band aid is irritating my skin and to not put anything on it but it's still leaking. Prescribed me Keflex

From your photos and description it looks and sounds like an infection. You need to see your surgeon to evaluate the site.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Infection after lipo

Thank you for your question. You have signs of infection. I do not think it is bandage. You need evaluated. I recommend you to see your PS for evaluation and continue antibiotics prescribed.

Yes, the incision is infected

Thank you for your question and photographs. Your bandage has nothing to do with the redness, pain and swelling. These are all signs of infection. It is clearly infected and you need to see your surgeon.  Keflex may be an OK starting oral antibiotic, however, if it gets worse or does not improve, you may need IV drugs or surgical drainage.  

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - now red, swollen and warm.

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • At least the nurse did the right thing by prescribing Keflex for infection.
  • It is very unlikely to be a reaction to the bandaid because the redness, pain and swelling are not where the bandaid covered you skin -
  • In addition to taking the Keflex, you need to schedule an appointment with your surgeon without delay.
  • This is quite unusual and your surgeon needs to be sure it heal.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS