I think something went very wrong with my lower blepharoplasty. Any suggestions? (photos)

I have been on this site, did research, went to 3 board certified doctors and had my procedure done for eye bag removal. It did not go well. Although I Am only day 12 post, I can see I have results I was not expecting. The picture was taken while I am smiling. Is there any chance this can change and get better with more recover time? I know it's soon after my surgery but wow I'm devastated. The muscles under my eyes are bulging. I did not have this issue prior. What should/can I do to fix this

Swelling can take some time..

hello. Thanks for including a picture. A before picture can be helpful also. From the looks of it, you do have some swelling still  which is expected. I would continue to follow your surgeon's advice for the next few months. If the swelling persists, and your result is not what you expected, you could seek another opinion. If you do this, bring a copy of your pictures from before your surgery and the written operative report.Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

What went wrong with my lower lid blepharoplasty?

I agree that the swelling that you have is unusual.   However, you are still early after surgery. At this point, the only solution is to wait things out.  I would not hesitate to get a second opinion.  An in person consultation is necessary, as well as a copy of the operative report to understand what was done.

Revision lower blepharoplasty

Best to have in person consultation/examination with an oculoplastic specialist for more accurate response. Revision lower blepharoplasty may be needed.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after lower blepharoplasty

It is very common to have swelling after eyelid surgery. In the the picture you posted, you have swelling that is seen.  This should improve over time and the fullness should smooth out and look better.  Try to give yourself a few weeks before you judge your final result. 

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelids at 12 days

You are very early in the healing process and likely pretty swollen. You have to give it time to settle down. Best of luck.

I think you were cautioned about something like this.

First, take a deep breath.  You are very early from surgery and still swollen.  These eyelids need to heal a full 3 months to have a clear idea of what is going on.  Try to be patient.  Follow your surgeon's directions and try not to drive yourself crazy while waiting for the eyelids to heal.  These things do often get better with time.  To really understand what is going on here, a personal consultation is essential. Now is not the time for these second opinions.  You need to do some healing first.

Problems with lower blepharoplasty

Considering you are only 12 days out from surgery, everything looks fine. The reason your lower lids look full with smiling is because of swelling. Be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Things should look much better over the next few weeks.
Andrew Campbell, M.D.Facial Plastic SpecialistQuintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is very early in your healing process. It takes 3-4 months for the swelling to subside. What you are seeing is swelling and you have to give it time to settle.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid issue

hiIt's too early to begin worrying. You need to give your body time to heal before making conclusions on results. It will take a full 3 months before your ready to make judgements. Work closely with your surgeon for encouragement and monitoring of healing. I can't tell from your photos where you are in your healing process, but massaging in upward direction may be helpful. You need to ask your surgeon though before starting this.

David Shifrin, MD

Lower eyelids

You need to see your surgeon. Only he knows which technique was used and what the course of recovery will be. Don't panic , you are probably going to be fine.