I recently received dysport and am wondering if I got the proper amount? (Photos)

I'm 29 y/o and when I walked in, the first woman (some sort of skin assessment/MD assistant) told me I was "too young" to be there. When my MD came in, they quoted me at needing 145u for my forehead, glabella, and crowsfeet/brow lift. That was way out of my budget so she said she'd tailor the amount to my budget. I ended up getting 105u without the brow lift. When I asked her why I needed so much (this is much more than the amounts I had researched) she told me faces without fat typically need more.

Dysport units female

If there are areas with hyperactive muscle activity leading to wrinkles, then Dysport is useful, regardless of age. Your glabellar seems very strong and I would use 60-70 units there. Crows is 20 each side and forehead is about 20-25. So 105 units seems within my dosing for you. You'll love the effects of the Dysport, it's my most popular neuromodulator.

Dysport Amount

Dysport is a great alternative to Botox, but the units are calculated differently so do not let that fool you. Generally 1 unit of Botox is equivalent to 3 units of Dysport. This does not mean it is any less effective, it is just formulated differently. That being said, a typical treatment of forehead, glabella and crows feet in Dysport units would be in the 120-150 range for the best correction. I understand that that is more than you wanted to spend, but you must understand that this type of treatment is dose dependent. If you don't get the dose recommended per area then it will not be as effective leaving you with the "this did not work" feeling.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

"Prejuvenation" w/ Dysport

Thanks for your great question and photos. Depending on how the face is aging, 29 years old is a very reasonable age to start using a neuromodulator such as Dysport.  Softening the wrinkle-causing muscle actions early helps to prevent the static wrinkles from forming in the first place - prejuvenation.  My goal with Dysport is to soften the muscle actions which are causing the undesired wrinkles, but, doing so in a strategic way - so as to not over-treat - which leaves a frozen look. In fact, for a first-time patient, I will frequently use slightly less Dysport and see the first-time patient back for a quick check in a week or so - to further refine and balance the treatment as needed.   You mentioned foregoing the "browlift" injections - that may have been explained to you a little backwards. Treating the muscles that cause the horizontal lines in the forehead doesn't cause the brow to "lift", but in fact, actually lowers the brow. The Frontalis muscle is the muscle the raises the brow and causes the "bunching" (wrinkling) of the skin in the forehead, ie., the horizontal lines. Treating the Frontalis muscle, softens the horizontal lines, but, also "lowers" the brow. It is the softening of the muscles that pull the brow down, ie., the muscles pulling "below" the brow: the Corrugator, the Depressor Supercilli, and the vertical segments of the Orbicularis Oculi muscles - that allow the brow to drift upward (lift) when they are weakened with Dysport/Botox. This may be confusing at first read, but, I hope it helps a bit.

David Hartman, MD, FACS
Canton Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do?

It sounds like you need to go back to the injector and discuss your concerns. The 105 units seems about right, but some people simply need more to get the most effective wrinkle reduction. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

I recently received dysport and am wondering if I got the proper amount?

Hello, and thanks for your question. This is definitely within the range that I would typically use to treat the areas you are describing. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport Units -correct dosage for female

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience with us.  In my practice, i usually treat all three zones with 120 - 150 units of Dysport for optimal results.  This amount is adequate for most women, regardless of the amount of facial fat. Spreading the units too thin will often leave you with results that you are not happy with.  When I recommend Dysport to a patient, age is not as important as the amount of muscle activity and wrinkles at rest that are seen.  There are many women that are even younger than you are who are opting for Dysport treatments.  Dysport is a great product and 105 units should have given you a good result.  Best wishes, Dr. B.

A.K. Bhattacharya, MD, FACS
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Dysport dosing

Dosing of Dysport is very individualized. I typically do use less in younger patients. 105 units would probably be adequate to treat your glabella, forehead, and still give you a subtle brow lift with injection of the crows feet area.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport Dosing

In my practice, Dysport is very popular with my patients who are seeking treatment and prevention of etched in facial lines.  Keep in mind that the dosing of Dysport is different than Botox or Xeomin, with about a 1:3 ratio.  For example, someone who needs 20 units of Botox in the Glabella would do well with 60 units of Dysport in the same area.  For the amount of movement in your photos, I would say that 105 units of Dysport is conservative. Some patients are able to use this type of conservative dosing, but many need more.  Two weeks after your treatment, reassess your muscle movement and call your provider for additional units if needed.

Thomas Munyon, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Dysport amounts

Dysport is an excellent neuromodulator, and the one I use most commonly as an alternative to Botox. It is  important to remember that Dysport is dosed  as three units for every one unit of Botox typically.  It also should be remembered that you should wait for two weeks to see your optimal results with either product. Having said that your provider gave you a very conservative dosing and should you feel you need additional treatment, I would recommend that you contact your physician for additional evaluation

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Everyones different

Everyone is different when it comes to Botox or Dysport.  In general 1unit of Botox is equal to 3units of Dysport.  People who are getting touch up treatments can need very little vs people with big strong facial muscles who need a significantly higher dose.  On an average person who has full activity of all their muscles most surgeons will use about 40units of Botox (or 120units of Dysport).  I have frequently used less and not totally infrequently used more. So with that in mind I'd say you got an appropriately conservative dosage.  A few important things to remember. First, it takes up to 2 weeks to see the full effect of your treatment. 2. Sometimes less is more so you can have a bit of expressivity though for the most part its blunted and decreasing wrinkles. And 3, you can always get a few more units in areas that are still too active for you.  Hope this helps

Brian E. Rosett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician