I am not very comfortable with my body. I am 5'4" and 240 lbs. Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck? (Photo)

I had ask the question before now I am sending pics . I hope they are of help.thanks

I am not very comfortable with my body. I am 5'4" and 240 lbs. Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. TT at this time not going to yield optimal results. I would recommend to loose some weight by diet and exercise with change of lifestyle. Then consider surgery. Other option is lipo to your rolls and loose weight and later consider TT. Please consult with board certified PS for evaluation.

I am not comfortable with my body. 5'4'' and 240 lbs. Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  At your current height and weight I think any potential benefits from surgery would not out weigh the possible risks.  I would advocate pursuing a lifestyle change with an improved diet and exercise routine to help you lose weight to reach a healthier and more stable weight.  Once there I think you would be an excellent tummy tuck candidate.  Oftentimes patients find the accountability of using a nutritionalist and trainer useful to help them attain their goals.  Hope this helps. 

I am not very comfortable with my body. I am 5'4" and 240 lbs. Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck

Although a tummy tuck could be performed and some amount of skin would be able to be removed, the majority of the rounded appearance of your abdomen would still be there. I think you should lose a good amount of weight first. If you do that, the results form a tummy tuck will be much superior than proceeding now without losing weight.

Julio Garcia, MD

Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and pictures. Based on the information you gave, I think your best plan is to adjust your lifestyle and try to reduce your BMI. Patients who are potential candidates for abdominoplasty will have BMI ranges between 25-35. Your BMI is much higher. After you have reached a lower BMI, please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs abdominal contouring regularly. All the best.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Not a candidate for a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs. At this time, you are not a candidate for a tummy tuck. Patients who have lost a lot of weight or recovered from pregnancy and have a lot of excess skin are good candidates for a tummy tuck.  At your current height and weight, your BMI is 41.2 which is way too high.  At 5'4", your weight should be at 145 pounds or below to have a normal BMI.  Having elective plastic surgery with a high BMI significantly increases you risks of bleeding, infection, wound healing problems, blood clots, etc.  It is imperative that you get on a good diet and exercise program, change your lifestyle and get down to a normal size or you will develop high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, etc.  After you have lost at least 60-80 pounds, you would then likely be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Good luck. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a TT

Good candidates are patients who are healthy but have EXCESS SKIN OR FAT that does not 
respond to diet and exercise. Patients who have undergone SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS 
and have hanging skin. Women with loose skin and stretch marks FOLLOWING PREGNANCY. 
Anyone with LOSS OF SKIN ELASTICITY. Patients who are unable to tighten the abdominal
wall with exercise. Or if you have loose or sagging abdominal wall skin; often associated 
with relaxation of the anterior abdominal wall muscles (frequently secondary to multiple

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for the procedures you want at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal.
Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree.
Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  At some point, you will likely be a great candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. 
 As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.  Best wishes as you work towards your goals.