I am not very comfortable with my body. I am 5'4" and 240 lbs. Am I a candidate for a tummy tuck?

Photos for advices

Thanks for the question. Send your photos to give you the advices you need and want.Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, without any photos or an in person exam, a true determination cannot be made.  The best advice would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so that they may evaluate you and discuss your surgical options with you.  During your consultation you will be able to address concerns, discuss your goal look and work together with your surgeon to create the surgical plan that best helps you achieve your desired look.With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first

Thank you for your question and photo.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. If this goal is not possible, your BMI should be less than 30 to minimize the risk of complications. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

A candidate for a tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question. It is rather difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. In the absence of photos, one can only say that your Body Index Mass exceeds the advisable levels.  We often use the body mass index to determine if you are a good candidate.  We prefer the BMI to be under 30.  Of course, the BMI is just a guideline and not a hard rule since it does not always portray the patients accurately in all situations.  Certain patients may carry the majority of their weight in muscle mass or in the legs and thighs.  In some cases, when a rigorous exercise and healthy diet fail to produce the desired results, a tummy tuck can make a real difference. However, it would always be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon to evaluate your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately it's difficult to give recommendations without photos, or an in person consultation. Generally speaking a tummy tuck is a great option for candidates who have excess skin that is resistant to diet and exercise. A special kind of tummy tuck I perform is called a Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty which tightens any separated muscles and removes excess skin. You will need to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

5' 4" tall and 240 lbs. and the Possibility of an Abdominoplasty.

Hello, and thanks for the question. Photos would be helpful, but from your height and weight you can calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index) and yours is 41.2. Anything over 30 is considered over weight, and over 40 more severely over weight. For most patients with higher BMI's like yours I recommend significant lifestyle changes (coupled with medical evaluations) including diet modification and excercise regimens prior to any surgery. We would need you to work on reducing your weight and maximizing your health before a significant procedure like a tummy tuck. In addition, most patients with high BMI's may not even be candidates for tummy tucks due to the thicker layer of fat on the abdominal wall. In some cases, I will perform liposuction to the abdomen, waistline, and back as a first stage procedure to reduce overall bulk and then a tummy tuck at a second stage 3 months later. In most cases, however, after weight loss, liposuction and a tummy tuck can be performed as a one stage procedure and your eventual results will be better and your risk of complications will be lower.I hope this helps.