I am 5'8 and extremely overweight. I would like to get CoolSculpting because it is not as invasive. Am I a candidate at 285lb?

I ha a consultation and was quoted 24 sessions at $13,500. Not only is the price extremely high but I think that would be very traumatic. Is this in fact doable for me or would I benefit from another type of procedure. I have pictures I can forward but I will not post them on here since I could never remove them. I know I have alot more weight to lose but in the meanwhile I need help removing deformed looking pockets of fat. Please help!

Thanks for your question. Coolsculpting would be a good option for your "pockets of fat" but you may want to look into a weight loss program first and then proceed with Coolsculpting to help "sculp"your body. Best of luck. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Will you see results? Yes. Will they be worth $13,500.00? That one might be a little more tricky.

The great thing about CoolSculpting is it works incredibly well for addressing minor problem areas like the love handles and flanks. One of the most challenging things about aesthetic medicine is being able to set realistic expectations with patients so that they know what to expect from a procedure. With regards to your question my recommendation would be that you continue to lose weight until you got close to your target weight prior to undergoing a procedure like CoolSculpting even though I have seen it work as a great catalyst to jump start diet and exercise routines in my patients.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

CoolSculpting and Weight Loss -- This is not a good idea!

Coolsculpting is for body contouring/shaping it is not for weight loss.  Even liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.  I suggest you seek the advice of a weight loss specialist.  Good luck, Dr. Emer.

Ideal weight for Coolsculpting

I would not perform Coolsculpting on you until you were within 20 pounds of your goal weight... take that cash and get yourself a hot trainer for now!
Best of luck!  :)

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting candidacy

Hello, CoolSculpting is a technology that is effective at reducing fat in targeted areas. CoolSculpting is not effective at debulking large areas of fat or tightening skin. You will likely not be happy with the results it will produce. Best regards.

Kahlil Andrews, MD
Cedar Rapids Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is not a weight loss procedure

Coolsculpting is not a weight loss procedure, it is a body contouring procedure. Most people that see results actually don't lose much weight. At your weight it would take multiple treatments to multiple different areas for you to even see minimal results. It is not a good return on investment for you if used this way. If you get down to your goal weight and still have stubborn bulges of fat then it may be useful to you. Don't be fooled by unethical providers who say it will work for you when they just want to take your money. Hope this helps. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Over weight and Cool Sculpting

I just came across your questions and I know it's a year old. What did you ever decide to do? In our office I don't think our RN's have EVER given a quote that high because truly you would not be a candidate. It's always better for cool sculpting to have a BMI of 30 or below otherwise you are most likely wasting your money. If you ever decide to seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's opinion on your options please know we are right here in UA and Easton. Hope that helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting and Overweight

Coolsculpting is a great non-surgical procedure when you have been dieting and exercising and within a good range of your ideal weight.  If they quoted you 24 sessions and you are overweight I would definitely NOT have the procedure.  I would not throw away your money.  Instead, I would consult a nutritionist and exercise physiologist to discuss a diet and exercise plan and use that money to get into better health first.  Please let us know what you decide.

CoolSculpting use for obesity

Dear One in aMilli:

Yes, CoolSculpting (CS) is useful in overweight and obese patients when they are properly selected, motivated and realistic about their anticipated results. 

CS is tried and true but very limited in the amount of fat reduction per session. When used serially, a Treatment to Transformation improvement can yield liposuction-like results.

CS will lose fat in those areas applied and in many cases has encouraged and motivated my patients to make the lifestyle changes to further lose weight with diet and exercise. 

In overweight and obese patients, CS to the arms or waist muffin-tops has brought smiles to reduce just enough fat so they could wear clothing that was previously tight or uncomfortable. 

If you have other symptoms of obesity such as asthma, high blood pressure, arthritis and others, please seek a consultation with a Board Certified Weight loss Surgeon. Thereafter, consider your options with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS