I was planning to get a tummy tuck and lipo and I was wondering if it is risky during surgery?

Like if you have border line high blood pressure

Is Tummy Tuck and Liposuction Risky

These 2 procedures are very common and are done routinely in the United States.  However all surgeries carry some risk.  To minimized the risk, first choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.  Next since you have borderline high blood pressure, make an appointment with your internist or general practitioner and tell them what you are planning to do.  They may want to run some preoperative tests to make sure you are in optimal shape for surgery. Also make sure your surgery will be done in either an accredited outpatient surgical facility or operating room connected with a hospital.  If surgery is done in an office surgery setting, make sure it is accredited by AAAASF or equivalent. Do your homework ahead of time and you will have the best chance of an optimal outcome.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Common combination

Hello thanks for your inquiry. These procedures are very common among patients. If you have a high blood pressure but it is treated you should not worry about it.  Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

High Blood Pressure and Cosmetic Surgery

Cosmetic Surgery is "I want surgery" not "I need surgery" and as such we need to reduce existing medical risks before having it. High blood pressure is common and as long as it is treated should not pose a higher risk providing there are no other risks. Tummy Tuck with Lipo is a commonly done operation and providing you share your entire medical history with your surgeon, you should do well. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN

Tummy tuck and lipo

Tummy tuck and liposuction is a common combination surgery.  Borderline high blood pressure should not be a problem preventing you from having surgery if that is your only medical issue.  I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and review your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

This is a common combination of surgeries and the risks really depend on how extensive the liposuction is going to be. Your high blood pressure, if currently controlled, will not increase your risks, but you should check with your primary care physician before surgery. Large volume and multiple area liposuctions do increase the risk some, but your surgeon is the best person to discuss this with since he/she knows exactly what areas and how much liposuction that you will get.

Tummy tuck and liposuction. Is it safe?

The safety of the combination of lipo and tummy tuck is a great question, but I think the most important question is the one you asked. Is it safe if a patient has any health concerns like high blood pressure? When thinking about the risk of surgery, multiple factors come into play and this places a patient in a risk category. We think about BMI (height and weight), medications, allergies, medical conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. Assuming you are in relatively good shape and are only borderline hypertensive then your surgical risk should be low. That being said your doctor will need to do a thorough history and physical to assess your overall risk. Best of luck. 

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  As a tummy tuck and liposuction are elective procedures it is always wise to minimize risks by optimizing your medical health. In your instance as long as your blood pressure is otherwise well-controlled it should not pose significant increased risk.  Hope this helps.

Well controlled hypertension is not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery and/or other elective plastic surgical procedures. Always best to check with your primary care physician for “medical clearance” prior to surgery. Managing your anti hypertensive medications around the time of surgery will be important.
My best advice: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she is a board certified plastic surgeon with an excellent safety record who works with board-certified anesthesiologists and operates in a fully accredited surgery facility. Best wishes.

Lipo and tummy tuck commonly done together

Assuming you are otherwise healthy and BMI less than 30, it should be safe to do liposuction and a tummy tuck together. Most patients having a tummy tuck have at least some lipo done even if just the waistline.

Richard Baxter, MD

TT and Lipo surgery

Thank you for your question! If you do your surgery in an accredited surgicenter with a board certified team consisting of a plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist you lower your risks of any major complications. 
Hope this helps,Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD