Lower Body Lift After Weight Loss? (photo)

I lost over 100 pounds but still have 35 left to go. I've been stuck at this weight for over a year. I need a lower body lift because I believe that a tummy tuck isn't going to do much for me. I'm sick of seeing the excess skin on my hips, thighs and over my pubic area. Though I still am considered overweight do you think I could benefit from the lift now??? I'm 46 years old and 5'4 inches tall. Thank you.

I Lost 100 lbs. - Weight Stable - Would A Lower Body Lift Help At This Time?

YES!  You are a perfect candidate for a lower body lift, also known as a dermal belt lipectomy.  The posterior aspect will pull up the loose skin on your outer thighs.  It will pull up your buttocks.  The anterior tummy tuck portion of the lower body lift will pull up the loose skin on your anterior thighs and get rid of a lot of excess skin on your abdomen.  Because of the excess skin, this procedure may have to be done twice to give you the look you desire.  Since your weight has been stable for a year (congratulations), it is time to kick start the next phase of your recovery. 

A lower body lift done by a Board Certified plastic surgeon should give you both an emotional and physical uplift. 

Lower Body Lift After Weight Loss?

Congratulations on your accomplishment. That is quite an achievement. I have never had a patient come into the office after massive weight loss that didn't say they had more weight to lose. You have to understand that there is fat attatched to all that extra skin and you cannot get rid of it until you get rid of the skin. I think you are ready for the surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Removing excess skin after weight loss

While I understand it's frustrating to be stuck at a weight, look at it this way, - you not only managed to lose weight, you've managed to maintain the weight loss. 

It sounds and looks like you're a perfect candidate for a body lift which can be done in one surgical session or in stages. Speaking to a board certified plastic surgeon experienced with bariatric reconstruction would allow you to formulate the best plan for you, based on your specific needs.

I would also recommend considering a surgeon who uses the Lockwood Technique for body lifts. I have 15 years of experience performing the lower body lift procedure and find that this technique achieves the best results with the least amount of post operative complications.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Lower Body Lift After Weight Loss

Congratulations on the 100 pounds. Since you are at a standstill, this seems like a perfectly appropriate time to proceed with your surgery which will probably be a belt lipectomy, or lower body lift.

This will improve multiple areas, including the abdomen, the pubic area, the outer thighs, and the buttocks. It won't do much for the inner thighs, and that would be best done at a separate stage later on. 

Many patients are able to continue their weight loss after this surgery. I doubt that 35 pounds would make alot of difference in how the procedure is carried out. 

You seem ready for an in person consultation. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.
.

Lower body lift vs tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos & experience. A consultation would help determine which of the following procedures is the right one for you:

1) Traditional tummy tuck: Reduces a great amount of skin laxity, tightens the abdominal wall muscles and keeps the incision hidden in the underwear line.
2) An extended tummy tuck: Same as a tummy tuck, but helps to reduce more skin laxity around the flanks.
3) A corset tummy tuck: Adds a vertical scar and breast fold scar, but reduces a significant amount of vertical skin laxity in addition to the horizontal skin laxity and creates the most hour-glass type figure. Downside is more visible scar
4) A belt lipectomy (or lower body lift) helps lift the outer thighs and buttock in addition to the benefits of an extended tummy tuck.

Options 3 and 4 usually have a significant amount of skin laxity that is being addressed. Liposuction is usually added to all of the procedures to help improve the results. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can spend time with you to explain the different options in more detail.  In addition, you plastic surgeon can develop a staged plan to address your concerns of the thighs.

LOWER BODY LIFT AFTER WEIGHT LOSS

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Losing 100 lbs is quite an accomplishment.  You didn’t provide your current weight so I cannot calculate your BMI to determine how overweight you are.  Generally I prefer my weight loss patients have a BMI of less than 35 before having surgery.  If you are working on losing more weight I would recommend waiting to have the procedure until you’ve reached your goal weight.  Significant weight loss or weight gain can alter the results of your body lift and create a need for additional procedures.  This is why I request my patient’s be at a stable weight for at least 3 months before moving forward with any cosmetic surgery.  It’s always difficult to make suggestions for a patient without a physical exam but most massive weight loss patients do benefit more from a lower body lift than just a tummy tuck.  A body lift would address your concerns about the excess skin on your hips, thighs, and pubic area and would also tighten your abdomen and lift your buttocks.  My recommendation is to research only board certified plastic surgeons.  Then schedule a consultation for a thorough exam to discuss your best body contouring options.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Do I need a 360 or lower body lift and medial thigh lift after 100 pound weight loss?

Congratulations Gajosie,

Great job on your weight loss!! Based on your history and pictures, and not physical examination, I would suggest you are probably ready for a 360 or circumferential body lift. The 360 bodylift will remove excess skin and fat from your abdomen, upper thighs and buttocks. An abdominoplasty or tummy tuck will not do this for you.

In addition, I would perform a medial thigh lift at the same time. A significant amount of your weight is held in your legs. Your medial thigh will require both resection of skin and fat. Typically, this is accomplished from an incision from the groin to the knee.

Often, both procedures are covered by medical insurance. Please seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with both these procedures.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Sincerely, Dr.Katzen

Timing of Lower Body Lift after Weight Loss

Body Lift After Weight Loss

Some good candidates for a lower body lift are patients who have recently experienced massive weight loss through procedures such as gastric banding or bypass surgery, stomach stapling, bariatric surgery, lap band surgery, or non surgical methods such as diet or exercise.

These patients have been able to maintain a stable weight for an extended period of time,approximately 12 to 18 months, and have stabilized their weight loss as a result from the previous surgery. During this stabilization period, the skin will shrink as much as possible in order for the body to prepare for the body contouring procedure.Candidates should be in good health and maintain a healthy diet during the year following

weight loss surgery. You should not smoke during the 6 weeks prior to surgery and are recommended not to recover the habit after surgery as smoking will increase risk of complications and slow the healing process.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Body contouring after massive weight loss

Timing of having the surgery really depends on whether you have reached your plateau, stable weight.  If you have, then it would be appropriate to proceed.  If not, continue with your weight loss program but please make sure it is one you will be able to live with for the rest of your life.  If not, you will simply slip back to old habits and regain much of the lost weight.  When you have contouring procedures mentioned by the others, weight gains will result in fat deposited in other NEW areas so it is vital you be able to maintain your weight EASILY to maintain your results.

Curtis Wong, MD

Body contouring after weight loss

If your weight loss has stablized and your weight has been stable for over 6 months, you are likely ready to consider contouring procedures.   Thank you for sharing your photos.  To transform your entire waist from front to back, I would likely recommend a circumferential body lift.  

Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).   A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX