My left breast has dropped but my right hasn't. When will it drop? (photo)

9 days PO and my right breast won't drop. It's a little hard despite a lot of firm massaging. My left breast has dropped and is very soft and natural feeling. Any idea when the right will catch up? How do I get my right breast to soften up? *545cc UHP

My left breast has dropped but my right hasn't. When will it drop?

Thank you for your question and photo.  It usually takes 3-4 months for the implants to fully drop into their final position.  At 9 days it is too early to be worried.  Follow-up with her plastic surgeon and asked about breast implant displacement exercises and possibly a Bando.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Implants falling

Thanks for your inquiry. Implants do fall and soften at different rates.  Sometimes one breast can lag behind the other by a few weeks.  However, only your surgeon by examining you can advise if what you are experiencing is normal.  Good Luck.  

Thank you for your question and photograph. After placement of implants, the appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your right implant and holding it high on your chest.  As your swelling resolves the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, better matching your left side.   It is very common for your implants to settle at different rates. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Keep in mind that no one will replace your own plastic surgeon when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.   

9 days post op is very early in the healing process. It will take several months for your breasts to achieve their final shape.

There are a number of reasons why one implant may appear to have not "dropped"

To fully answer your question would require a bit more information than you have provided here.  Thus, I will make a few general comments, but the real answers will have to come from your own surgeon as they will have the specific information that we lack.  In addition, they have the ability to examine you in person, and we don't, so there is much that we can't tell about your breasts from simply looking at the one image here in a bra.

Having said that, I first want to say that many people make a big deal out of the concept of implants "dropping."  In reality, if implants are placed properly, and tissues released properly on both sides, there should not be a lot of "dropping" that has to happen.  To be sure, tissues will relax, and breasts will soften and settle, but there should not be a case in which an implant seems to be up under your chin early after surgery and then drops down significantly.  The reason why I say this is because if your implants are significantly different in their actual position at this point, there may be something more going on than the "run of the mill" swelling and tightness of the tissues.

Many times when this kind of thing happens there is fluid - either blood or serum - that has collected around the implant, and typically it pushes the implant upward.  This can make it look like the implant "hasn't dropped."  Both of these conditions - hematoma if the fluid is blood, seroma if the condition is serous fluid - need to be evaluated for, and if detected, they should be addressed early to avoid later problems with capsule contracture and implant asymmetry.  The only way to really know if this is present is to have an exam, and your surgeon will need to do that.

Although a common suggestion for managing "high riding implants" is "massage," or implant displacement exercises, you will need to check with your surgeon first before doing that because there are some instances in which we don't recommend manipulation of the implants, such as pushing them down or trying to slide them around.  One of those instances is when a hematoma or seroma is present and is the reason for the implant malposition.  Another one is when textured surface implants are used.  Yet another instance that may not necessarily be a contraindication to implant massage, but it may not work either, is if the pockets were created differently at surgery.  If this has happened, either intentionally or unintentionally, you probably won't be able to change that very much simply by pushing down on the implants.  You have not specified whether textured surface implants were used, or there was any other reason, such as differences in pocket design, that could account for what you are seeing, so again, you should check these details out with your surgeon before taking any other action.

At barely over a week after surgery, you are very early in the recovery period, and things will certainly change over time.  At this point, though, issues like this really need to be primarily addressed by your surgeon because only they will know exactly what has been done in surgery, what type of implants you have, and what the next steps should be.  Best of luck.