Is it possible that my breast size will decrease after pregnancy/weight gain back to my post-implant size with diet/exercise?

I had 400cc submuscular implants placed 2 years ago. A few weeks after placements, I found out I was pregnant, and my breasts grew significantly. Prior to implants, I was a 36B, after implants 36DD, and now after pregnancy/weight gain 36DDD. My physician stated that my breast size will likely not decrease as the tissue isn't fat tissue but composed mammary glands, etc. He recommended removing the implant and allowing the skin to contract. I'm worried about sagging. Other options/recommendations?

Post pregnancy changes

I am not sure I have got this right, but basically:

• You had a breast augmentation
  • Then got pregnant and your breasts increased in size, while you gained weight
  • You would like to go back to intitial situation, before the pregnancy
Provided that some pregnancy changes are permanent and you cannot reverse them, the first thing you should do is to lose weight.
If losing weight, going back to pre-pregnancy conditions, is not enough to reduce the size of your breasts, then you may consider other options.
I can't see why you would start removing your implants, unless you want to keep your current weight forever.

London Plastic Surgeon

Managing breasts with implants after pregnancy, weight gain.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• If your large breasts are causing you neck and back pain, the easiest first step is to remove the implants.
  • It is slower but better for your health, to lose the weight until you are a normal weight for your height.
  • But whether implants are removed or you do it by weight loss, significant reduction in your breast size is very likely to cause sagging -
  • The answer is to do a breast lift at the time of implant removal or later, if you lose weight. .
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Breast changes with pregnancy

If you want to lose weight, do so. Anything more than 5-10lbs is likely to change breast size and appearance. If you are comfortable with your weight then removing the implants (or voluntarily sterile rupture if saline is possible) without replacement or lift is an option. Wait 3-6 months and assess your result. Without photos it's hard to give an accurate prediction if you're likely to be satisfied with just removal or would need a lift. Best to seek a couple of opinions from breast experts. 

Concern over pregnancy's effect on your breast augmentation

Pregnancy affects all women differently.  The best advice would be to attempt weight loss after pregnancy using appropriate diet and exercise until you find yourself at a stable (at least 3--6 months) weight somewhere near your pre-pregnancy weight.  If you are breastfeeding, I would wait until at least 3-6 months after you have finished before intervention as this obviously also affects breast size.  At that point (stable weight and sufficient time passage since breast feeding completed), you can make a more accurate assessment of your overall breast aesthetic and determine the best plan moving forward.  Until then, I would not recommend removing the implants as this would not ensure no additional surgery down the road and therefore in effect might just be adding an unnecessary operation. 

Surgery

Hello dear, Thanks for your question and provided information as well. I have to tell you that you had a breast augmentation and your breasts, after pregnancy can increase in size, it is normal also when you gain weight 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast size after weight gain

Your breast will shrink after you loose weight and get down to your pre-pregnancy weight. If you have stretch marks your skin may not shrink back down. If your skin dose not contract back down you may need a lift in the future. I do not see why at this time you would need your implants removed.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Changes in breast with pregnancy

It is my opinion, that as you lose the weight you gained in pregnancy, the breast size will go back towards the prepregnancy post breast implant size. The only caveat would be the skin may not snap back to its pre-stretched state and may require a mastopexy to reposition the breast back over the center of the implant.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Post-Pregnancy Changes in Breast Implants

If you lose the weight that you gain with pregnancy, your breasts will shrink in size.  The difficulty may arise that the skin may not shrink and you may need a lift in the future.  I would not recommend taking out your implants at this time.  I would continue the pregnancy and then diet and exercise and then re-evaluate how they look.  Congratulations on the pregnancy!

Predictions

There just isn't any way to make a reasonable comment without at the very least - photos. If you trust your surgeon follow his/her advice. If you are unsure, seek a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

?Explantation

Without an exam no one can offer definitive advice.  Without photos it is hard to offer anything in the way of a suggestion. What might happen after removing the implants is not completely predictable. If your skin tone is good, the skin may shrink back and not leave you with sagging tissue. But nothing will be certain in advance. 

All the best.