Belly button leakage/Tummy tuck Sept. 2015

So I've went back to the plastic surgeon for my leakage in my belly button , he numbed me went back in said he got a small cyst...didn't see a stitch...but it still leaks not daily but like every 3 months my stomach gets real achy...cramps ..and kinda bloated..I know when it's gonna leak what should I do now...he said he needs to see me when it leaks, but when it happens he isn't available and it doesn't do it again for a month or more....any suggestions...tummy tuck sept. 2015

Belly button leakage

Thank you for the question. There could be multiple reasons for your leakage and, without an in-person examination, it is difficult to guarantee a reliable assessment of your concern. While an infected suture may indeed be responsible, it is best to alert your surgeon to this leakage. As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi. 

Thank you for your repeat question. If he was able to remove a small cyst and it did not completely resolve your belly button issue you likely still have either a cyst or retained stitch along the base of your belly button.  I would definitely try to see your surgeon during one of these episodes as it sounds as if additional surgical intervention will be needed to get to the bottom of the drainage.  Best wishes. 

Most likely an infected suture in the muscle

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry that you are going through this. It is most likely an infected permanent suture which was used for the muscle repair. The best way to resolve it is to see him/her when it is draining so it can be removed. Very hard to do it otherwise. This is why I went to all absorbable sutures. Good luck. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon