16 days post op breast reduction with bright red tissue noted along incision. Is this normal? (Photo)

I am 16 days post op breast reduction. Two days ago I noticed the skin along my incision beneath the left nipple had turned bright red. I do not currently have a fever, nor do I have any pain or itching in that area. Is this a normal occurrence? Thanks in advance.

Redness of breast

If you have redness this may represent an infection.  Best to be evaluated in person.  Good luck......

Redness after reduction

Hi,

Thanks for your question. While some redness can be normal, you should see your surgeon to ensure there's no evidence of an early infection. 

All the best in your recovery,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Bright red tissue around incision after breast reduction

Thanks for your questions.  You are right to be concerned about the difference between your breast incisions and the redness happening on one side.  After reviewing the symptoms you describe, your lack of fever/pain, and your photo, it does not appear that you have an infection, but more likely inflammation from bra rubbing, surfacing absorbable sutures, etc.  However it is impossible to determine this without an exam.

My best advice would be to contact your plastic surgeon immediately and to schedule an appoinment as soon as as possible to be examined.

Best wishes during your recovery!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon