When should I go in? Breast reduction after breast feeding.

Hi I am 22 I have two children boy breastfed I am a 34k and would like to go down to a 34d if not a 34c. Who long should I wait after breastfeeding to call in for a consultation?

6 months

Typically, any type of cosmetic breast surgery can be performed at a minimum of 6 months after you’ve stopped breast feeding. This allows ample time for your breasts to return as close to their pre-pregnancy state as possible.

You should come in now for the consultation...

Hello! You should come in now for the consultation... because it can take quite some time to get the insurance approval.  We do the consultations for this only 2 times a month, and they get booked up fast! This operation is one of my favorites, because it works-- and all the patients hug me after! Breast Wishes.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I would definitely recommend waiting until you are completely finished lactating - 3-6 months is usually a good amount of time after breast-feeding to have breast surgery. 

Careful preoperative communication is one of the keys to success with any type of breast surgery.   With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  The use of computer imaging is also becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

For example, I have found that the use of words such as “ proportionate” or "C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  the use of computer imaging is becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. 

Breast reduction after breast feeding

This is a good time to start the consultation and pre-authorization process.  You should wait at least three months after lactation is completed.

Breast feeding and reduction

You should waist several months after you stop  breast feeding and what until you no longer lactate and the breasts have shrunk down.

Breast Reduction

Hello and thank you for your question. It is best to wait until you are done and have no more milk production coming in before you have any surgery to reduce the chance of infection after surgery. Typically it is best to be finished breast feeding and not producing anymore for about 4 months. Every surgeon is different, but that is what is considered safe. You could see a surgeon for a consultation anytime to make a surgical plan before that. I wish you the best of luck in your breast reduction surgery!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction - how soon after breast feeding

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• At your size, you certainly are right that you need a breast reduction.
  • You can have your first consultation 3 months after you finish breast feeding.
  • Then have your second consultation and surgery 3 months later.
  • I suggest the consultation early because it may take you some time to find the right plastic surgeon for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast reduction following breast feeding

Hi, I would wait about 6 months after finish breast feeding before obtaining a consult.  At that time your breasts will have returned to a "baseline" size and your surgeon will be able to advise you best on what type of incisions you will need and your recovery.  Be sure to let your surgeon know if you are planning to have more children, as this might affect your decision to proceed at this time.  Best wishes.

Breast feeding and Breast Reducion

Thanks for your question. I would suggest waiting about 3 to 6 months before the consultation. It sounds like you would really benefit from this procedure. You should wait until you are relatively sure you do not plan additional pregnancies because the breasts can change again. Plus, breast feeding can be affected to a small degree after reduction surgery. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon