Can voluma be dissolved after 8 weeks?

I had .5 ccs of voluma injected into each apex (where I've never carried much volume) so I look very unnatural. I called the dr's office to set up an appointment to have the voluma dissolved. The nurse said I waited too long and that the enzyme used to dissolve the voluma could attack my tissue and bones, potentially causing permanent damage to my face. She suggested I just wait for it to dissolve on its own and said she wouldn't dissolve it. Is this possible?! Or am I being scammed?

Dissolvers can help

Voluma should be able to be dissolved with hyaluronidase months later.  Hyaluronidase is specific for hyaluronic acid and would not affect your collagen tissues or bone.

Too Much Voluma

I have no issues with nurses injecting Voluma.  My trainer was a nurse and she is one of the best injectors in Chicago.

You have been given a boatload of misinformation about removing the filler.  It certainly can be done and if you are unhappy, you should pursue that route.  Please make sure you see an injector with lots of experience.   Use your intuition and feelings about your next doctor and get the results you want.

Most doctors only want you to be happy.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Voluma dissolving

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are not pleased with the appearance of the Voluma. After the treatment there may be some swelling for a couple of days as everyone’s body reacts differently when being injected. If after, you still feel the Voluma is too prominent, a qualified physician can remove some of the volume that has been added to your face, this can be accomplished at any time with hyaluronidase. Typically Voluma can last up to two years with just one single treatment. I suggest seeing another qualified physician to review the results. If they cannot remove the volume, there are other options to help even out its appearance.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Dissolving Voluma

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler, as are Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane.  They can be dissolved by using hyaluronidase injections, the enzyme you are referring to.  Voluma is labeled as a 2 year filler, but the word from doctors who have used it in Europe and South America is that it may last much longer.  An experienced injector can touch the patient's face and feel the difference between Voluma and natural tissue, and can therefore target the unwanted filler to dissolve it.

It is true that normal dermis contains hyaluronic acid.  It is the matrix that the collagen and elastin fibers run through.  So it is also true that if you inject hyaluronidase into normal dermis, that you can dissolve some normal tissue.  If the Voluma was injected correctly, it was laid down over bone, underneath muscle and far beneath the skin for the cheek area.

As one of the top injectors in the Northwest region of the USA, I unfortunately have had to remove many patient's "bad filler jobs" (that they received from someone else) before I can begin the process of doing a good job.  So, I have a LOT of experience with hyaluronidase injections.

Bottomline, it sounds like the nurse you spoke to didn't have much experience and gave you misguided advice. You could be waiting 5-6 years or longer for it to go away on its own.  If the doctor was the injector, talk to the doctor.  If this nurse was the injector, go somewhere else.  

There are major dangers to having filler placed in your face by an inadequately trained nurse, M.A. or aesthetician.  They do not have the years of training in medicine, and anatomy expertise that doctors have.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma can be dissolved at any time

They are not informed or not telling you the truth. I would go elsewhere because you weren't happy with their treatment anyways. It might require 2 treatments with hyaluronidase. Keep in mind that, just like filler, there is a skill to injecting this too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Can voluma be dissolved after 8 weeks?

Thank you for your question. As Voluma is a filler in the hyaluronic acid family, it can be dissolved at any time with the use of a hyaluronidase medication that is injected into the apex.  Voice your concerns to your injector, you may wish to talk directly with the surgeon. 

Is It Ever Too Late to Dissolve Filler?

Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring molecule that retains water, aiding the body in hydration, structural support, and joint function, among other things. While many fillers such as Voluma are made of a similar material, it is not completely identical to the hyaluronic acid found in our bodies. The hyaluronic acid found in fillers is synthetically produced, and subject to a process referred to as “cross-linking.” Our bodies are constantly producing and depleting its own hyaluronic acid, however cross-linking prevents this rapid deterioration, allowing HA fillers to last anywhere from 6 – 24 months.

As long as there is still product present, hyaluronic acid fillers can safely and effectively be dissolved at any time. The hyaluronidase physicians use to dissolve filler is a concentration specific to its purpose, and should not have any effect on the surrounding tissue and/or bones. Perhaps the nurse was misinformed; you may want to set up an appointment to speak with your doctor directly. If they still refuse to dissolve the Voluma and you are determined to correct it, please consult with an experienced board certified Dermatologist to do so. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Dissolving Voluma

You can definitely dissolve Voluma after 8 weeks.  Since it has been more than a few weeks it sounds like you will need to dissolve the product to correct the problem.  Please consult an expert for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green