Is a TT out of the questions since I've had prior abdominal surgery? (photos)

In 2007 I had a partial pancreatectomy and splenectomy (no issues w/ spleen) due to a pseudo-cyst on the tail end of my panceas. With the placement of it the spleen could not be saved. I've had no other issuses, it was just a weird unexplained coincidence. My question, would a TT out be of the question with this scar, possible scar tissue as well as blood supply issues? Not looking to get it for a few months as I'm recovering from a BR.

Tummy tuck after pancreas surgery

You would be an excellent candidate for abdominal lipo and lower abdominal skin removal (mini-tt), assuming there are no hernias from the previous surgery.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

TT and Prior Abdominal Surgery

Hello thank you for sharing your concerns with us.

You are a good candidate( with prior evaluation of course) but an Inverse TT is an option for you or reverse abdominoplasty where the skin is pulled under the breast instead of the pelvic area. 

Best of lucks

Disnalda Matos, MD

Is a TT out of the questions since I've had prior abdominal surgery?

You may have a TT but it will have to be modified as either a lipoabdominoplasty with limited skin undermining or as a reverse abdominoplasty (pulling the skin up and have a scar under the breasts instead of in the lower abdomen. This option may remove your entire scar also. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

TT with a scar

Thanks for posting this question.  There are several issues that you raise that can affect either the safety or possible benefits of different surgical and non-surgical options.  Reviewing your pictures is helpful, but nothing will replace an in-person examination, and for that I suggest speaking with a board certified plastic surgeon. I hope that you already know one since you say that you recently had a breast reduction.  Your pictures show several issues that can be addressed either individually or in combination.  You have fatty deposits of your abdomen and flanks, you have skin that has stretch marks and  a lower abdominal roll/fold, and the upper abdominal scar.  Depending on what bothers you the most, you might benefit from less aggressive forms of treatment.  Liposuction will certainly remove a lot of the fatty deposits, but may leave you with loose skin.  While it is a lot to ask of a non-surgical fat reduction process, Coolsculpt or Sculpsure could also help reduce that fat, but would probably require several repeat sessions.  Once the fat has been removed, you will likely have loose lose abdominal skin which can be addressed by a limited TT without worrying  whether your prior scar is creating any additional risk.  If you have muscle weakness (which can only be determined by an examining doctor) then none of these options will do and a full TT would need to be performed.  If that's the case, the amount of stretch of your abdominal skin will probably have to be more limited than if you didn't have the scar, but it should probably be able to be performed safely.  If you do opt for a TT, the overall result would be a lot better if you have less fat before you have surgery, either thorough weight loss or one of the methods mentioned above.  No online answer can replace a detailed discussion with an experienced surgeon so I suggest that you do that as you consider your future plans.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunate news

Bad news.  Upper abdominal incisions make you a very poor candidate for further tummy tuck surgery.  Good news is that the contour on your lower abdomen is actually ok.   You would benefit from liposuction.  You are a candidate for a reverse tummy tuck where the scar is brought up to underneath the breasts.  After a reverse and liposuction. If you had additional skin down below, you could get a mini tuck .  
Call or make an appointment if you would like to discuss things further

Oliver P. Simmons, MD, FACS
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Tummytuck with Previous Scar

There should be no problem other than the fact that your scar will be lower than it is now, probably below your belly button. Since nearly10 years has passed since your previous surgery, doubtful there will be problems with healing. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

TT

A tummy tuck would be too risky due to the likelyhood that the splenectomy scar has interrupted blood supply to the lower abdominal wall and you could suffer necrosis of the lower abdominal wall flap.  One option is to have a scar revision to improve the splenectomy scar, along with a mini tummy tuck with liposuction.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Abdomen

I would not recommend a tummy tuck- that scar location could result in skin flap necrosis.

You appear to be a candidate for Vaser ultrasound liposuction which would be much less invasive and easier to recover from.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to confirm you are a candidate and to discuss your options and expectations. 

Can I have a tt?

As long as you're otherwise healthy, a tummy tuck would be fine and give you better result. 

Based on the pictures you provided, seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in person would give you more detail and pricing.

Thank you for sharing your pictures and for your question

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I have performed tummy tucks in patients with similar scars before.  It is very important that you get advice for this based on an in-person consultation, as your surgery will be more complicated than a normal tummy tuck. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD