Can I get silicone breast implants with juvenile diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and Graves' disease?

Is it possible for me to get silicone implants with type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and Graves' disease (I had radioactive iodine treatment so now I am hypo)? My doctor who handles my diabetes was fine with the surgery and I still need ask the one who handles my thyroid. My rheumatologist (through his nurse, over the phone) recommended against it because I had 3 autoimmune disorders. I feel like he didn't do his research because it was such a quick answer. Has there been cases like mine?

Possibly.

The link between autoimmune disease and silicone breast implants has been essentially refuted and there is no medical evidence to suggest that breast implants in any way increase your risk for either developing or worsening such conditions. That having been said, carrying the diagnosis makes you a greater risk for complications such as bleeding, pain, or infection. Nevertheless, many patients who carry such diagnoses undergo all kinds of surgery and do just fine. 

The best way to determine if you are a good candidate for surgery is to perform a thorough evaluation in the office with a proper history and physical examination, and this should be conducted by a qualified board certified plastic surgeon with lots of experience in breast surgery and with taking care of patients such as you. 

You should seek a consultation first, and if you have confidence that your surgeon can help you achieve the enhancement you are seeking, then and only then should you consider surgery. Best of luck to you. 

Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

MM for diabetics

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

Well controlled diabetes and/or rheumatoid arthritis is not a contraindication to breast augmentation and/or other elective plastic surgical procedures. Always best to check with your primary care physician or endocrinologist for “medical clearance” prior to surgery.  Managing your diabetic medications around the time of surgery (to avoid hypo as well as hyperglycemia), while you will have altered oral intake, will be important. Some general suggestions: select your plastic surgeon very carefully and communicate your goals very carefully as well. 

Thank you for your interesting question. The relationship of silicone implants and autoimmune diseases have been thoroughly tested, and I have seen no evidence of a cause and effect relationship. If you still have some trepidation about having silicone implants, saline implants are an excellent alternative.
First, all of your health issues must be under control by an internist, and you must have approval from an Internist for the procedure. Then be sure you consult a plastic surgeon who is board certified and has lots of experience with such issues. Also question your plastic surgeon about the experience of the anesthetists or anesthesiologist who will be putting you to sleep. The procedure only takes about an hour, and recovery time is fairly short. Your diet and medications can be resumed shortly after surgery.
You must be off of anti-inflammatories such as Advil, aspirin, Aleve, fishoil, vitamine Garlic, etc. for about two weeks. This may be difficult with rheumatoid arthritis, but it reduces the risk of excess bleeding and bruising.
Best of luck to you.

Getting Breast Implants with Autoimmune Disorders

If you are dissatisfied with the opinion you received from your rheumatologist, then you can get a second opinion from at least 1 or 2 other doctors.

Although, I do advise against doctor-shopping until you find the answer that you want to hear.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Can I get breast implants?

Thank you for your question. Since breast augmentation is elective some professionals may advise against it. That being said, yes people with your diagnoses do under go surgery. Speak with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your medical history, understand the risks and benefits and make an educated decision. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD