Will the scar tissue on my upper eyelid ever subside? (photos)

So I was recently in a very bad car accident, about 2 months to be exact. I received lacerations on my face, (Left side of forehead, upper eyelid, eyebrow, and scalp) I noticed my left eye is a little droopy compared to my right eye, it annoys me a lot because I notice it a lot in pictures. Now that my wound is closed, ive been putting scar away on it 2x daily. My biggest concern is my left eye though. What else do you think I should do about this?

Eye Scarring

Unfortunately,due to major scaring on eyelid area you will have to have a scar revision or some laser treatment in order for scarring to resurface. It will not subside on it's own due to the amount of scarring on eyelid. I would give it a few months to heal anywhere to 4-6 months to heal before you take any action. At the meantime you can massage the area to help scaring go down or try some ointments to help scaring heal better. Sorry to hear about the accident and goodluck.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sorry about your accident and the resulting scar tissue in you left upper eyelid. Two months is much too soon to determine what the final outcome will be from you, however. It appears that a scar revision will be necessary, but you still have swelling and firmness in the scar at this point in time, and the best result should be done on matures scars. Try to be patient, and seek an experienced, certified PS in a couple of months. There is not really anything you can do to speed up Mother Nature. Final maturity of a wound take about a year, but at 6 months you can get a good idea.

Best of luck for you.

Severe scarring

You have severe scarring. It is not going to subside on its own. You will need some scar revision surgery and then multiple laser treatments. It will be a long process. Wish you the best., 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid scarring

Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry to hear about your accident. In most situations like this, we like to wait 6 months before recommending any reconstructive surgery. It takes that long for the scars to "mature," and often they will become more soft. You might not even need anything done to correct the eyelid. You still have swelling, and that is the most likely cause of the eyelid asymmetry. Continue with the scar massage, and I'd suggest seeing a plastic surgeon near you in a couple of months from now. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Scar appearance

Thanks for your question.  In general, scar take up to a year or longer to completely mature, meaning you will not see the final results for possible another 9-12 months.  The best evidence suggests that silicone-based topical scar treatment does help the appearance of scars, and I recommend it to any patient looking to do something in the early period.  Use the scar cream for 4 months or longer.  Massage also helps.  Depending on the ultimate appearance, treatments such as laser resurfacing or dermabrasion can improve scar appearance if needed.  Occasionally, surgery is also recommended.  I suggest seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in 4-6 months if you still have concerns.  Good luck .

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue around eyes

Hi,

So sorry to hear about your accident. It appears you had significant soft tissue damage to the side of your face. 2 months is still too early to tell if your eye lid will need to be corrected. At this point, your upper lid may still be swollen from the trauma. Give yourself another 4 months before re-posting your question. In the meantime, it will be a good idea to directly massage the scar to minimize scar thickening. I hope this helps.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue on my upper eyelid

Nickballowe,

That looks like it certainly was painful.  Sorry for that.  The scar tissue on you left eyelid is difficult to predict.  Usually the eyelid heals really nicely.  2 months away from your accident is quite early.  6 months to a year is going to tell us more about the ultimate outcome.  The reason your left eye is droopy appearing is because there is likely a little bulk to the scar tissue, which prevents it from folding up as nicely when you open your eye.  The little bit of bulk pushes your lid down a bit.  

If the scar heals as well as I hope it will, your asymmetry should get much better.  Things you can do to help it along include silicone (good job on the scar away...), STRICT avoidance of UV exposure, and massage of the area to help the forming scar tissue lie flat.  Massage is best done with a little lubricant on your fngers, stroking across the lid with as much pressure as is comfortable.  Whatever you use for lubrication - make sure it isn't something that will be harmful if you get it in your eye.  Best of luck!

Dr. Jespersen

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

I looks bad now but it will get better.

There are certain dermatologists and plastic surgeon who do a very good job managing scar tissue.  Time is also very helpful. However more active management is also highly worthwhile.  Revisional surgery should only be done with great care.  Ideally you will heal a full 6 months before revisional surgery is a consideration.  Please consider reposting and let us know on RealSelf about your progress.

Eyelid Asymmetry

Based on the photographs, it does appear that your left upper eyelid is a bit lower than your right. It looks like you may have had a laceration extending onto the eyelid, and sometimes in such cases the levator muscle and/or tendon can be damaged. Since you are just two months out from the accident, I would not recommend adjusting the eyelid yet, because the position of the eyelid can change especially if you sustained some damage to or bruising of the levator muscle, which is the muscle that raises the eyelid. I typically recommend waiting 6 months to 1 year before doing an adjustment after a trauma like yours, but I would suggest seeing an oculoplastic surgeon for a full evaluation including assessment of your levator function.

Mahsa Sohrab, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

2 months after severe trauma

In 3-4 more months you will notice that the scar tissue is softening and lightening up. I would recommend consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon to assess the drooping of the left upper lid (ptosis). The ptosis may improve over 6 months from the date of the accident, so you won't necessarily need surgery. For the skin - I'd say keep doing what you are with the scar cream. If these scars do not improve to your complete satisfaction, fractional ablative CO2 laser resurfacing is a great way to smooth the skin tones and improve scars. The LaseringUSA MiXto is a great option for resurfacing in the office. My patients have been extremely happy with their results from MiXto. Best wishes with your progress.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon