What is my nose shape and what are suggestions on cosmetic surgery/rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I do not know if I broke it when I was little, but it has been crooked since I began really looking at it. It's relatively long and wide, which has made me extremely self conscious. I would just like to know what my general nose shape is called and what exactly would take place to alter it.

You have a strongly projecting nose. See my morph.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_yungputa.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, from a photo in your previous post, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I moved the tip of your nose back closer to your face, and then lowered the position of the bridge to match the new position of the tip.

I also raised the tip a small amount, to make the nose look a little smaller, and also, when you move the tip of the nose closer to the face, it's important to elevate the tip a little, because moving the tip closer usually makes the tip look like it droops a bit.

From the front, it does appear that you have strong tip cartilages, and they can be narrowed as well.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle. Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he'll change, and by how much he'll change them -- so you know whether it's enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. Then, he must show you before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suggestions for Rhinoplasty

First of all, you are a beautiful young women.  The beautiful features of the face are the eyes, smile, and skin.  The nose should blend with your other facial features.  In reviewing your pictures I see:

1)  Wide nasal bones

2)  Bulbous and slightly deviated nasal tip

3)  Weak chin creating an illusion of a large nose on profile

A rhinoplasty should greatly improve the shape of your nose while not changing the character of your face.  I would recommend a rhinoplasty to narrow the nasal bones, creating more tip definition, bringing the nose slightly closer to the face, and a chin implant.  

Imaging morphing can help communicate these changes.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a nasal tip deprojection to decrease the overall size of your nose.  A chin implant could help balance your face also.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

How can I improve my nose?

After looking at your photos, I would suggest the following:

Your dorsum is slightly widened, full on profile view and tilted to the right side;

Nasal tip is slightly bulbous, but rotation and projection are fairly good;

Your chin is on the smaller side, and this in turn makes the nose appear bigger than it actually is. Rhinoplasty along with chin augmentation (implant) will be able to address all these issues. 

Good luck. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Rhinoplasty

There is no specific name to describe your nose in total. When you go for consultation, you should discuss with the surgeon what bothers you. I do see from the profile that your chin is a bit short and that can contribute to the appearance of your nose and facial imbalance.

Suggestions for rhinoplasty and chin implant

From the photographs presented, the nose appears overly projected, and the chin is under projected. Performing a rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the crooked nose and decreasing the overall projection, and shaving down the dorsal hump. Consider placement of a small chin implant to help with facial  balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose from the side profile. For more information, and many before and after examples of both procedures, please see the video and the link below 

Thanks for your question.

A board certified plastic surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty surgery can evaluate you in person and make some recommendations regarding optimally enhancing your nasal aesthetics and proportions as they relate to the rest of your face as a whole.

There is no "name" or "type" that would characterize your nose. Instead, there are clinical findings. A specific diagnosis cannot be made from photos alone. 

I think it can be safely stated that your overall shape is good but some refinement can certainly be of potential benefit. Depending on your occlusion, there is a suggestion that you could also benefit from some additional chin projection. 

Don't be reluctant to seek more than one opinion before considering surgery. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon