Does an anchor or Inverted T breast lift always involve reshaping breast tissue?

I read from another PS on here that: "Any technique that only removes skin will not last very long unless used in the appropriate patient.  Usually the breast tissue needs to be reshaped to give longer results." - Dr. Setty Is the Anchor or Inverted T lift one that involves reshaping breast tissue? Or can it be performed without doing so? Thanks!

The short answer is yes. A mastopexy is by definition reshaping the breast from a saggy breast to a more youthful shaped breast. However, relying upon the skin alone to keep the breast elevated is generally unsuccessful because skin is not a good supporting structure. For a durable result from a mastopexy most plastic surgeons use  internal sutures.

Determining which mastopexy procedure you would need would take an examination by a PS who would take measurements of your breast and nipple position.

Thank you for your question, and I hope the various answer you have received from doctors  has helped you. Best of luck.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Reshaping

So for both techniques, (anchor or inverted T and lollipop or vertical) reshaping of the breast tissue is required to achieve results that will last.  Sadly, both techniques can be done without using those internal sutures, and giving a nice result until the skin stretches out and the breast falls and flattens again.  Most surgeons are trained to use internal sutures to prevent this shape collapse, but not all.  It's a good question to ask your plastic surgeon before surgery!  Best of luck.

Dr. Jespersen

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

This will just depend upon what your surgeon prefers.  It is very difficult to know what one surgeon may prefer over another.  There are various ways to improve the longevity of a breast lift.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... it depends on the way that is performed by the surgeon. But for sure the breast has to be reshaped to get a better appearance, you can add augmentation or not, depending on your choises.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Hello and thank you for your question!

In general terms, the approach of an anchor or Inverted T breast lift is to address reshaping of the breast tissue. It should allow us to take the interior pole and make it more projected. Even though it is not a mandatory maneuver, in most cases it is recommended. It will definitely allow for long term results. 

Please visit a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Breast Lift Intended Result

The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under intravenous sedation and local or general anesthesia. As mentioned above there are a variety of techniques for these operations.  Lollipop lift (vertical lift), donut (periareola) lift, Benelli lift, crescent lift, anchor lift  (inverted T ). Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. These newer techniques are utilized in the vast majority of cases, the rare exception being extremely large breasts. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

The crescent lift removes a small amount of skin at the top of the areola. We find that there is very little lift and the areola becomes oval in shape and distorted with this method.

The Benelli lift as performed by most surgeons is just the donut lift, removing a donut shaped piece of areola and skin then using a #Pursestring or double purse-string suture to tighten the skin.  A true Benelli actually will expose much of the breast through this incision and then the breast itself is shaped and lifted with sutures.  This is a more complex procedure and is often not done as describe by Dr. Benelli.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Excellent question. Sutures alone will not produce any type of significant shaping of the breast. Most of the vertical techniques rely on the skin envelope to reshape the breast. Skin has proven to be too weak of a structure to hold breast shape or position. The Horndeski Method/Bellesoma Method actually constructs an internal cone (to give shape similar to that of a breast implant) and designs an internal bra made from your own tissues to provide longevity to the lift. There are no foreign materials used. Attached is an example of a woman who underwent this procedure who did not want implants or the vertical incision. Feel free to view my gallery for patients that share your dimensions for a realistic result. I hope this helps.  

Best wishes and kind regards, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

An inverted T skin incision pattern often uses some sort of pedicle technique to mold the breast. Best of luck.

Reshaping

Thank you for the question and there should be reshaping of the breast tissue with a lift of any type but how long lasting is unfortunately a function of the quality of the tissue being lifted, the denser the tissue the better the lift and the more longlasting

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD