I had CoolSculpting done 7 weeks ago and I'm still numb. Is that normal?

Also I read that with the larger applicator it reduces the time to 35 minutes. I had it done for 1 hour. Is that too long?

Numbness is Expected

A: It is not uncommon to experience altered sensation for many weeks after CoolSculpting. Sometimes, numbness and a dulled sensation can last two to three months.  There have been no reported cases of permanent loss of sensation or nerve damage.  The treatment time for the CoolSculpting procedure is determined by treatment applicator used and the area treated. The original large applicator, the CoolMax, does require a 60-minute treatment time.  Here at the West Institute, we utilize the most recent technology, the new CoolAdvantage applicator.  With this upgraded treatment applicator, we can treat most areas in 35 minutes.

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbness after CoolSculpting

Numbness following the CoolSculpting procedure is normal and will resolve over the course of several weeks.  It is generally not a permanent side effect.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after CoolSculpting

Numbness after Coolsculpting, especially with the large applicator is very common. The new large 35 minute applicator will not be available until toward the end of the year. Numbness usually clears sooner than you have. Check with your treating physician if it persists. We have done thousands of treatments, and so far it always goes away. Best Wishes, Maurice Vick MD

Maurice M. Vick, Jr., MD
Baton Rouge Urologist

Numbness after treatment

Numbness should improve gradually over the course of the month after treatment.  The original applicators were applied for 1 hour and the most recent released applicators are now only applied for 35 minutes. Anytime you are concerned about a side effect of the treatment or something that has not resolved you should follow up with the treating physician for further evaluation.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Numbness

The post treatment numbness can last up to 4 weeks, and usually does return over time. One hour treatment is the usual time for the original applicators. The newest applicators do reduce the treatment time to 35 minutes per treatment and reduce the post treatment pain and numbness.

Maiysha Clairborne, MD
Atlanta Family Physician

Numbness after Cool Sculpting

That does seem a little long but if you are having no other issues I think it's fine. If you are worried I would seek a follow up with your center's physician if there is any question. The Cool Max is only available in the 60 minute applicator and the new version is coming out late 4th quarter so you have had the only one available so rest assured on that part of your questions. Lastly, there is a 35 minute applicator but only for the smaller treatments. Hope that helps.

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

The new applicators take only 35 min, but it is perfectly safe to have 1 hr applicator. Coolsculpting is best when performed on an area that has an excess number of fat cells.  For example, women say, "When I gain weight, it goes straight to my belly."  That means that you were born with more fat cells in your abdominal area.  It would be great to perform coolsculpting in that area to reduce the number of fat cells there and make that are more proportional with the rest of your body.  Then, if you gain weight, it will be more evenly distributed over your body.  It won't just "go straight" to one area.  

The fat loss is permanent after Coolsculpting.  You typically lose 20-25% of the fat in the area treated, each time you treat it.  I have done it to myself and my staff.  It is truly effective and has no down time.

Best of Luck, Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting

The numbness in the area should resolve.  Traditional treatment times are an hour.  Do you have swelling that is visible in any portion of the area treated?  Do you have any other areas treated at the same time?

Coolsculpting and Numbness

One of the most common side effects is numbness at the treated area.  The numbness can last for two weeks or more at times.  If you are concerned you should return to your treating physician for examination.  It is always best to consult an expert in coolsculpting of the best cosmetics results. Best, Dr. Green

How long should I be numb after CoolSculpting?

It is normal to have some numbness even after 8 weeks.  Each person is a little different but it may feel a bit "odd" for a while, as the time passes the numbness or "odd" feeling should go away.

A one hour treatment time is standard for the large applicator.

Eric Shreder, DO
Mesa Family Physician