I had CoolSculpting done 7 weeks ago and I'm still numb. Is that normal?

Also I read that with the larger applicator it reduces the time to 35 minutes. I had it done for 1 hour. Is that too long?

Numbness after Cool Sculpting

That does seem a little long but if you are having no other issues I think it's fine. If you are worried I would seek a follow up with your center's physician if there is any question. The Cool Max is only available in the 60 minute applicator and the new version is coming out late 4th quarter so you have had the only one available so rest assured on that part of your questions. Lastly, there is a 35 minute applicator but only for the smaller treatments. Hope that helps.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

The new applicators take only 35 min, but it is perfectly safe to have 1 hr applicator. Coolsculpting is best when performed on an area that has an excess number of fat cells.  For example, women say, "When I gain weight, it goes straight to my belly."  That means that you were born with more fat cells in your abdominal area.  It would be great to perform coolsculpting in that area to reduce the number of fat cells there and make that are more proportional with the rest of your body.  Then, if you gain weight, it will be more evenly distributed over your body.  It won't just "go straight" to one area.  

The fat loss is permanent after Coolsculpting.  You typically lose 20-25% of the fat in the area treated, each time you treat it.  I have done it to myself and my staff.  It is truly effective and has no down time.

Best of Luck, Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

The numbness in the area should resolve.  Traditional treatment times are an hour.  Do you have swelling that is visible in any portion of the area treated?  Do you have any other areas treated at the same time?

Coolsculpting and Numbness

One of the most common side effects is numbness at the treated area.  The numbness can last for two weeks or more at times.  If you are concerned you should return to your treating physician for examination.  It is always best to consult an expert in coolsculpting of the best cosmetics results. Best, Dr. Green

How long should I be numb after CoolSculpting?

It is normal to have some numbness even after 8 weeks.  Each person is a little different but it may feel a bit "odd" for a while, as the time passes the numbness or "odd" feeling should go away.

A one hour treatment time is standard for the large applicator.

Eric Shreder, DO
Mesa Family Physician

Duration of Numbness After CoolSculpting

It is common for the treated area to be numb after CoolSculpting. The duration of numbness can vary for each person. Usually the numbness resolves after an average of about 2 weeks, but in some situations we have seen it last as long as 8 weeks. It should get a little better with each passing day. The large applicator is a 1 hour treatment. The newer 35 minute large applicator has not been released yet. There is a smaller applicator which cuts the treatment time down to 35 minutes. If you have any concerns you should follow up with your treatment provider. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Normal Numbing--Coolsculpting aftercare: Thermage, Vanquish, Venus Legacy

Numbness is normal and can take several weeks to resolve. For best results, I recommend Coolsculpting in combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Thermage, Vanquish, Venus Legacy with Z wave/Cellutone. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Numbness after coolsculpting

Numbness after coolsculpting varies greatly from person to person based upon the areas treated.  In general, the arms and lower abdomen tend to stay numb longer.  Thankfully, there have been no reports of permanent numbness after coolsculpting, and this should resolve over time.  The larger applicator is done for an hour.  There is a new applicator that can do shorter treatments on smaller areas.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbness after Coolsculpting

This is fine. It will eventually return. There is nothing to do. The larger handpiece with 35 min cycle is on back order and not out yet. This is a purchase for the practice so no everyone will get it. There is a smaller one, the Cooladvantage out that is 35 minutes. You didn't get over treated and you can't with Coolsculpting. It is actually possible to get 2 cycles immediately after each other without harm.

Steven F. Weiner, MD