Is the amount/pattern of bruising normal. 10 days post op, subglandular 325cc Mod Plus Profile cohesive silicone gel? (photos)

On my post op appointment, I wonder if my Dr may have cause unnecessary and additionally painful bruising. It was 24 hours post operative he stretched my right arm outward and as far back as I could go, and then pushed farther, and then pressed hard on my tendons (?) that were very tight. I was crying. I have since then and now have a lot of bruising. left breast looks great but right is so swollen and sore under arm and side of breast. I also bled from stitches on right breast.

Bruising after BA

Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.  Not trying to defend your PS but it's normal to have bruising or hematomas after the BA.  Sometimes the place where they are going to happen is unpredictable.   A few days after surgery bruising can be more noticeable especially on white skin patients. Have a great day. 

Bruising after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for your pain.  I do not completely understand the maneuver that your doctor performed.  My concern is does your doctor know you are bleeding from the right incision? Please be discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  

Dressings Look Quite Soiled

Dear jessg2962, The bruising and swelling you have look quite appropriate for this early visit. I have not ever heard of such a postoperative protocol as your doctor performed, so I do not know how to comment on that. I am more concerned that your dressings look quite soiled and would be worried about getting an infection. I recommend you get those changed quickly, washed gently with soap and water and re-bandaged. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Early post op, some advices :

Thanks for the question. At this point of your post op is normal to have swelling and bruisings and its too early to talk about final results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Respectfully,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

If your breasts are not changing in size

there is little to worry about.  I'm not sure what your surgeon did or why it was felt necessary but bruising is common and warm compresses will help them resolve faster.  Keep your scheduled appointments with your surgeon and contact him if any new concerns arise such as continuous drainage from incisions or changes in the size of your mounds with increasing pains.  Otherwise, your early results do look very good.

Curtis Wong, MD

Bruising after breast augmenation

I know everyone will say each doctor does things differently.  Not sure why the doctor manipulated your breast right after surgery to cause bruising and bleeding.  It is a know fact that the more bruised your breast is the more likely you may form unwanted scars.  I personally recommend my patients to do virtually nothing for about two weeks to minimize bruising and hopefully less internal scarring.  You also have to remember the more bruised the breast the greater the possibility of developing internal scarring.  Its best to check with your doctor about the bruising and bleeding. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Bruising post BAM

Hi jessg, I am not sure why your surgeon stretched your arm back the way it was done.  I cannot say if it caused the bruising that you have noticed , but in any case, the bruising does not look too severe. Overall, from the photos, currently,there is not a significant increase swelling on the right as compared to the left. Did you ever ask your surgeon why he/she performed this maneuver? it might be helpful for you to understand and to communicate to your surgeon that it caused you a great deal of pain.  Overall, I think you are fine for now from what I can see. Should the swelling or pain increase, please consult with your doctor.Best,Dr. Christine Rodgers

Bruising After Breast Augmentation

Hello,Bruising is not normal, even when placing implants under the muscle. Forceful passive stretch is not recommended, only active stretching. With subglandular placement, you should be relatively pain free, however, excessive bleeding, which leads to bruising, causes pain. I think you will be fine, but you should call the office and request the nurse only for your next appointment. When they ask why, tell them that your doctor hurt you and was unnecessarily rough. He and his staff need to know!Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Bruising and Pain...

It is normal to have this kinds of doubts about a recently surgery. Time is your best ally to get confident with the results. If excessive pain persist during your healing process do not hesitate to consult with your surgeon your concerns and discomforts.  

Have a great day!

Alicia Sigler, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast movement

Each doctor is bit different with what they want their patients to do post-op.  It seems that you experienced some bruising and pain and should follow closely with your surgeon.