I'm 17 years old and I want to know if it is recommended that I get breast implants or at least consulted?

I'm 17, 125 lbs, 5'6", and a size A!! in bra size. I'm very athletic and have a high metabolism! The reason I want breast implants is because I have been CONSTANTLY picked on about my breast size. I was told my freshman year I was going to "grow into them" by my senior year and guess what? I'm still the same size A. I'm overall happy with my appearance, it's just my breast that I want. I just want a nice C to fit my athletic body. Would you recommend the surgery? Should I get consulted?

17 yo and breast augmentation

Generally the patients that undergo breast augmentation are 18 years old but visit before this age, with a plastic surgeon.  Many patients come with their mothers or other support group to listen to the conversation. We do like for gals to have completed their growth spurt and that the breasts have stopped growing.  Sometimes the breast fairy does not stop at every girl's house and it is nice to have a little something to put in a bra.  Clothing becomes difficult since they are shaped for girls with curves or breasts.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn about your options

Age For Cosmetic Surgery?

Thank you for your question! It will be hard to find a doctor that will operate on an minor.  Wait till your at least 18 years old.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

You may still get a growth spurt

I realize it may be frustrating for you, but it is not impossible for you to have your breast grow in the next few years.  In the mean time it's perfectly reasonable to get a consultation and even consider a breast augmentation, realizing that at such an early age your body is still changing and you might need a revision in the future.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

There is certainly no reason that you cannot seek consultation with multiple board certified plastic surgeons to learn about and discuss your options.  However most plastic surgeons recommend that she wait until 18 before considering breast augmentation.  At that age you are only be able to have saline breast implants.  If you decide you want silicone gel implants you will need to wait until you're 22.

Seventeen is a bit young but it can be done with parental consent. Even if you don't have the surgery now it is certainly OK to see a surgeon and start getting some ideas about how the surgery may help you reach your goal.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How old do you have to be to have breast implants?

Hi and thanks for the question. By 17 you have probably finished most of your growth and development. The FDA approved saline breast implants for cosmetic surgery in patients 18 and older. Silicone implants are approved for patients 22 and older. This is a reasonable time for you to start the process of learning about the surgery. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Share your concerns and goals, and find out what the procedure involves. The best thing you can do is educate yourself about the process so when the time for surgery comes you can go in confident and get the results you are looking for. Good luck.

Dr J

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Is 17 too young to consider breast implants?

It is certainly appropriate to have a consultation to discuss your issues and the options for breast augmentation if you choose to do so. While your breast size may increase slightly as you age, most women that are very flat chested will not gain that much breast tissue. As long as you are emotionally mature and seeking augmentation for valid personal reasons, there is no reason that you should not consider it. The timing of surgery is really up to you, but I would suggest that you involve your parents in your decision.

Consultation at this time would be appropriate and beneficial. I would then wait until all signs of breast growth have stopped before proceeding with any cosmetic breast surgery.

Hello! Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years. Many surgeons use 18 years of age as the standard for when to offer the breast augmentation procedure to women. Maturity and the ability to make an educated decision for yourself of whether this procedure is the right one for you as well as factors regarding implant choice, size, incision placement, position of the implant, other adjunct procedures, etc are major factors. Having the maturity to understand all of the risks and benefits of the surgical procedure is also mandatory - thus, most are readily able to comprehend this at that age. 23 years of age is the FDA guideline for utilization of silicone implants.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in this procedure. Research your surgeon's education, training, as well as ability to perform this procedure. See postoperative photographs and most importantly choose the one who you feel most comfortable with and competent to meet your expectations. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question.  Sorry to hear you have been teased about your breast size.  I advise you make a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options about breast augmentation.  I suggest bringing your mother with you to help in your decisions.  In my practice, I would have you wait until you are 18 as breast augmentation is a serious commitment.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon