Do I have a weak jawline/chin? If so, how can I correct these issues? (Photo)

Is this an example of weak jawline/chin and how can i bring more definition and prominence to my face

How do you correct these issues?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Do I have a weak jawline/chin? If so, how can I correct these issues?

Hello orkestr8d - Thanks for your question. Looking at the photo you've provided, it seems as if you would be a good candidate for liposuction of the neck along with chin implant placement. You could further improve this by adding a platysma muscle tightening procedure to increase the angularity of your neck. This is a very common procedure performed in my practice. In fact, most patients have the procedure done in my office with local anesthesia. I would be happy to speak with you more about this at my practice in Denver. Check out my link below for a recent Before and After of this procedure.

Have a nice evening! 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Jawline

Between your chin and jaw angles, your jawline lack definition and is weaker in appearance as a result. Either a chin implant and jaw angle implants done together, or ideally a custom total jawline implant, will make for a stronger and more defined jawline.

Weak chin?

I am not sure that I would consider your chin necessary weak based on this single profile view. You should seek an in person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to analyse other aspects of your face/jaws and discuss your need and options for correction. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat and skin below the chin, chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Correction of a weak jawline/ and chin

From the 1 limited photograph, it does appear that there is a weak and a recessive chin profile for which a chin implant can improve.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large  variety of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed under local anesthesia through a small incision underneath the chin. In our practice, we have used  Implantech Silastic chin implants for over 25 years with excellent success rate.    For many before and after examples and diagrams of the implants themselves, please see the video and link below