Is it unrealistic to ask for a specific nose shape? (photos)

Is it unrealistic to ask for a specific nose shape, as in comparing to a completely different person? I've been playing with this app that allows you to superimpose another persons nose on your face, and I found one I liked. Would it be ridiculous to take that to a surgeon and say, "This is what I want". Three pics. Me now, me with other persons nose, and me with a morph of my own nose that I like.

Rhinoplasty Expectations

While it is very helpful to have rhinoplasty goals, it is unrealistic to think that anyone else's nose or rhinoplasty result can be created on you. In some cases it may come close but it is best not to assume that it will.

Rhinoplasty Goals

While it's not possible to give you exactly the same nose as someone else, it is possible to incorporate the same aesthetic themes to your nose.  It is possible to increase the height, projection and definition of your nose to be similar to the photos you have posted, while still being in harmony with your facial features and remaining feminine.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty Photo Imaging

Thank you for your question. At our practice we offer photo imaging which would be able to give you an idea as to the result you could expect following surgery. During an in person evaluation and discussion would it be determined if your "dream nose" could be achieved. 

Matching Expectations With Results

It is not unrealistic to have a certain look that you are trying to achieve when going through a consultation for a rhinoplasty. It may be a little unrealistic to come in with photos from a outside software and ask to match them. Using 3D rendering software is certainly possible but it is best to allow your doctor to use their own software so they can show you what is surgically possible.

Lee Ann M. Klausner, MD, FACS

Noses are sculpting operations that use your tissues to reshape and contour your nose.  You want a nose that is refined and appears natural. However, there are limits to what can be accomplished.  The entire nose should be reshaped to give you the best and most natural results.  Subtle alterations will make a huge difference in the appearance of your nose.

Realistic expectations with a rhinoplasty

It's very important to have realistic expectations with a rhinoplasty procedure.  It's important to know what can be accomplished with YOUR skin, cartilage and bone on YOUR nose.   Digital Computer imaging of your nose would be helpful  in the communication process between the patient and the surgeon.

This could perhaps be unrealistic.  3D imaging used by your surgeon is really the best way to express your desire of proposed changes and your surgeon can tell you the likelihood of him/her delivering that result.  Best wishes.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon