Stuffy nose 5 weeks after SeptoRinoplasty??

I had septorinoplasty performed about 5 weeks ago. It was my 2nd surgery. The 1st was a septoplasty and turbinate reduction to improve my extremely poor breathing which I've had since birth. It did not go 100% so a second surgery was needed to correct a deviated septum and the surgeon removed the bump on my nose. After 8 days the splints were removed and I could breathe amazing for a week. Since then its been extremely stuffy in both sides. Is this swelling? Will it improve?

Congestion After Rhinoplasty

It is very common to have congestion after a rhinoplasty.  This is usually the worst a couple days after surgery, improves dramatically when the splints/sutures are removed, and then gradually improves for a month or two after that.  You seem a little too congested for this late in the recovery, yet I would still recommend waiting.  It's still too early to do anything surgically to improve your breathing.  Please communicate with your surgeon the concerns you have.  

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Congestion after nasal surgery

Thank you for you question. There are a couple explanations as swelling at this time is unlikely. There may be ongoing dryness and crusting. More commonly is narrowing of the nasal valve, a region just inside the nostril. If you pull the cheek to the side and the airway improves then there is a valve stenosis. There are ways to correct it depending on the site within the valve but this requires an examination. Best wishes. 

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stuffy nose 5 weeks after Septorhinoplasty?

Dear shgadwa,
You can certainly have swelling at 5 weeks post op that might be affecting your breathing. I would follow up with your surgeon to be sure you are healing properly and ask about using a nasal steroid that is now available over the counter to help with any allergic component and Nedi-Pot or Neil Med irrigations. 
It is possible that changes done to improve the aesthetics of your nose might worsen your breathing, but likely things should improve with time.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty breathing post rhinoplasty

HI shgadwa,

It is too early to say what the exact cause of your stuffiness is at this point. It could be allergies, post --rhinoplasty swelling or a shift in some of the structures of the nose. Talk to your surgeon about this and get his/her recommendations. Be patient. It is not at all unusual to have some stuffiness in the early recovery period of a rhinoplasty. 
 Dr, Christine Rodgers

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 month after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD