Hi there. I have a question about the amount of grams would be removed for a specific cup size reduction. (photos)

I am currently a 36G or 34H. I am technically a 35 GG but no such sizes. I have talked with my ins and they are willing to cover it if I can get their requirements met. I am seeing my MD in Aug(1st available) Approximately how many grams would it be to move from current size to a small D cup? I am required to have 658 grams per my body weight/height to be medically cleared. 5'5 155 lbs. 3 children. Post menopause. Hyst 3 years ago.

Amount of grams would be removed for a specific cup size reduction.

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery. There is simply too much variability among bra cup manufactures to make it a useful metric when it comes to preoperative communication and/or post operative predictions.
  Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso.
With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
***Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.
Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Reduction amounts

Dear Lezlie21,
I am surprised by the cup size you state because you honestly don't look excessively large for your frame in your pictures. You may be one of the few women who actually can find a bra that fits well for larger breasts. It also demonstrates how hard it is for us to go by bra sizes alone since a wide range of sizes can fit into each bra.
If a specific amount needs to be removed ask your plastic surgeon to show you a breast implant of about that size (you might need to add 2 together). This sounds a little gross, but you could also look at 1.5 pounds of meat because this also is about 660 gm. If that seems like too great of a reduction you can determine your preferred amount if not using your insurance (I personally only do "cosmetic" reductions and do not accept insurance). You will also improve your chances of insurance coverage by having supportive documentation regarding the physical complaints you have from your breast size (primary care appointments, physical therapy, chiropractic care). That is actually why insurance agrees to cover the procedure, not merely because you are large breasted.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon