I've had constant low back pain for a year. Can pelvic instability be helped by having a tummy tuck?

I've had 3 C sections, and an incisional hernia repair. My hips and tail bone constantly come out of place. I've done physical therapy, had many cortisone injections, and done Pilates and yoga for nine months. Nothing has helped. My doctor thinks because of all my scar tissue and weak abdominal muscles, The next thing to try would be surgically putting my muscles back together again. Would this help with my issues?

Thank you for your unusual question.  I have done many tummy tucks over my three decades and practice and can I recall a patient claiming that pelvic pain was improved by the procedure.  Most likely the cause lies elsewhere.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Tummy Tuck for Back Pain

We are all used to hearing from patients that had a TT with muscle repair and noted a reduction of back pain so we know it sometimes happen. The improvement generally has to do with a better posture from the tighter muscles. You make no mention of diastasis (separated muscles) in your case. If your pain is due to hip or pelvic issues I cannot see how a TT would be considered for pain treatment in that case. So if you want a TT to improve what a TT is designed to improve, a more youthful and tighter tummy, by all means go ahead with the surgery and if you do feel less back pain, then that would be a good extra benefit. But if you are doing the TT purely for pain control you may find yourself disappointed. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD