Natural teardrop shape. Deflated 34b to a full B- small C.

If I wanted a teardrop shaped implant for a natural slope ( low profile), am I restricted to the highly cohesive implant or is it possible to make it happen without them. AND if am an active weight lifter, how will this effect my implants and what would be the best method for them

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Best implant for you?

This depends upon your preop anatomy. If you already have a teardrop shape that's just deflated, you can get a great natural appearing result with smooth, round silicone moderate profile implants. Best to get an in person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon who takes the time to properly measure you to determine the best implant for you!

Dear MightyMouse333,

I looked back at your previous posts for a picture and a mastopexy with augmentation looks like a good plan. After using primarily smooth round implants since the mid 90's I have more recently fallen in love with anatomic or tear drop shaped implants for many patients. They have been available overseas for decades, but only a couple of years here in the States, so many surgeons here have little or no experience with them. There are three companies available to us, and each has it's own level of cohesivity or firmness, and type of texturing. Allergan has the most cohesive, and Sientra the least. I generally choose Sientra because it is the softest of the three. 

In strong patients the textured surface helps to prevent lateral displacement or slipping of the implant that is sometimes seen with smooth implants, and what has really been impressive is the better quality of scars I am seeing from the mastopexy because of decreased pressure and weight on the healing tissue.

Selecting the correct dimensions is important, and based on the volume you like, not every company may have a perfect fit for you. Wanting a smaller augmentation you just have to be sure the implant is the appropriate width, so for some patients a low profile round may be better depending on their anatomy. We have so many implants to choose from these days, it can feel overwhelming, but it really helps us to tailor the surgery very nicely as each person's goals may be very different.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon