Can my mastopexy be corrected? (photos)

I had a mastopexy done due to a lypoma removal. The day before my 2 week post op appointment my tape had been falling off due to showers so I decided to remove it. After looking at my right breast I was very devastated to find that the underneath portion looked deformed. I do not know what went wrong but as I have done some research it almost looks as though the vertical cut was not long enough to reach the end of the breast or maybe he should have used the anchor approach. Can this be fixed?

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

It takes 6 weeks to heal and I wait 12 months before any scar revision.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Can my mastopexy be corrected?

This may resolve on its own during the healing process or a small revision can be performed.

Mastopexy revision

Thank you for your question. The amount of swelling that you have at the bottom of your breast will significantly decrease over the next couple of months. If it does not resolve it could easily be revised by making a small horizontal excision.  Good luck.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Revision Mastopexy

You are exhibiting one of the very common problems associated with a 'lollypop' incision: persistent skin excess in the vertical vector. This problem is easily corrected by conversion to a full mastopexy. Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Appearance is "normal"

Thanks for your question and the photos. Although it looks worrisome it will smooth out remarkably. Likely nothing will need to be done. If the original design would have been carried out any further inferiorly, it would have gone past the IMF and been a disaster. If the anchor incision would have been used, there would have been risk of poor healing at the base. You had the right operation, just give it time. It will be at least 6 months before it really smooths out. Looks like you have a great shape! Best of Luck

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Excess skin

Everything looks OK from here.  That excess skin will resolve over the next 3-6 months.  Feel free to ask your plastic surgeon to show you pictures of his or her other patients over time so that you better understand the healing process.

Dr. N

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mastopexy - devastated by excess skin

Thank you for asking about your mastopexy.

• I understand your concern but nothing has gone wrong.
  • The excess skin you see now is swollen and will almost certainly subside by itself
  • You may need a tiny revision of excess skin in six months
  • Your surgeon did nothing wrong - the vertical incision, with this skin excess which subsides, is in many women a better choice than the long crease scar that can be quite permanently unsightly.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Can my mastopexy be corrected?

Although your concerns are understandable, this type of tissue bunching can occur after vertical mastopexy surgery.  Much of the "excess" issue will settle down over the course of the next few months.  If, in the longer term, excess tissue remains, it can certainly be corrected with a relatively limited revisionary operation.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Mastopexy corrected?

This is called bunching.  Some of the drastic appearance that you are noticing will improve as the tissues relax and heal.  Be patient.  In worst case scenario, if this does not completely heal correctly, this is something that can be corrected.  Be patient its still early.   Hang in there.  Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Lollipop mastopexies

commonly have the wrinkled skin you have and in many situations, it will diminish to where its not an issue.  If it doesn't, minor office revisions will remove it and improve the contours of your lower breast.  Do not worry... this is completely normal.  Focus on how your upper poles are healing and if they are level as that is more important at this time.

Curtis Wong, MD