How do I go about making my skin smooth again? Why is the texture of my skin this rough? (Photo)

My skin has increasingly become an issue because the texture has become rough for my age. I am 24 and it looks quite aged. What can I do to even it out and make it smooth? I do suffer from hyper pigmentation and mild acne (because of polycystic ovarian syndrome) that I have somewhat under control. The skin under my eyes and nose and cheeks are extremely rough. What are the steps I can take to or a treatment I can pay for to rejuvenate my face. Thank you

Great question

Thanks for the question.  I am not a fan of just throwing lasers and peels at people from the get-go.  These types of treatment have complications associated with them, and if your skin is not ready for them, the results could be disastrous.  I prefer to start my patients on an aggressive skin regimen, but one that involves slowly adding products so that your skin can start to feel the benefits but without all the terrible side effects of redness, irritation, skin cracking and peeling.  In our practice we sell and use ZO skin care which is absolutely fantastic.  I spend a lot of time with my patients educating them about skin care, and they all seem to love the product and the effect.  I think the most important thing is to be educated about the products you are using, and make sure someone doesn't give your 10 different products to start on when you have never done anything before with your skin.  You will regret it, and then hate the product.  Skin care is just as much about communication and education as it is about the actual products.  
"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Rough Skin

Time, hormones, and sun lead to changes in our skin's texture. This happens to all of us. The good news is there is a lot you can do for it. I recommend starting with basic skin care. To best promote the texture and health of your skin, you should begin using a retinol. Typical over the counter retinol's do not provide quite the effect as those purchased in an MD office. You should seek the opinion of a professional esthetician to help best guide how to use a retinol as it requires some training of your skin to tolerate it. In additional to a retinol, you should also be using a Vitamin C containing serum that will promote the glow you are most seeking. There are many good brands available but SkinCeuticals has a great CE Ferrulic that we can't keep on our shelves because of the results. Finally, you should be using a daily mineral based sunblock to protect your skin and slow down the aging process. Once you are on a good regimen you will notice a drastic difference, but if you are desiring an even greater change you can combine this regimen with professional peels.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Skin improvement at 24

Thank you for asking about your skin.

• Great question -
  • Skin treatments should have specific targets.
  • For your acne, you should probably be on tretinoin and a skin lightener - and daily sun block.
  • If the skin texture does not improve in six weeks, then several microneedlings e.g Skin Pen.
  • You are young - this should be enough to get your skin healthy and keep it that way!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

Lasers, microneedling/PRP, skin care and peels help to make the skin smooth.  Please see an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Options for skin texture improvement.

Thanks for your question and photo. For young patients like yourself, I feel that micro needling is good and safe option. The stimulatory effects from the treatment can be significantly effective for textural issues. Technology like Endymed Intensif may be helpful to you. This combines the benefits of micro needling and radio frequency. The treatment is done in series. Patients requires 1-3 treatments done once a month. There is about 24 hours of redness associated with each treatment. I recommend seeking out a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in the treatment and in treating patients with your skin type. I hope this was helpful.

Rough texture with hyperpigmentation and acne

Dear ccolon38:  Because of the combination of hyperpigmentation and acne with roughly-textured skin, I believe the best approach for you would be #Microneedling with #PRP, but you would also respond well to ViPeels. Both of these procedures treat all of your concerns.  All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD