Who should I go to for FTM chest maculation reconstruction? How much it generally is? Who takes insurance?

im a ftm trying to get information about the different procedures and costs. I currently live in Colorado springs, im also been on testosterone for 7 months now.

Seeking a Surgeon for FTM Top Surgery and the Costs

It's best to begin by seeking a plastic surgeon with #board #certification and experience in this type of procedure. You should feel comfortable with your surgeon and his or her office staff. They should be open-minded regarding gender surgery. It’s important for your surgeon to have an aesthetic eye for body contouring, you should be comfortable with the surgical facility that your doctor uses and it should be certified. 

Depending on the Top Surgery procedure and surgeon you choose, the #cost for your Top Surgery will vary. Typically, but not always, the #Keyhole and #Periareolar Top Surgery procedures are less expensive than the #Double Incision method, by as much as $2,000.00 USD. In general, the cost of FTM Top Surgery ranges from $3,500.00 - $9,000.00 USD. This may or may not include consultation fees. A down payment is usually #required to secure a surgery date. The amount of this down payment varies by surgeon but usually ranges between $500.00 - $2,000.00 and up to 50% of the total Top Surgery cost. Often there are #hidden fees in addition to the surgeon's fees. Such as the Anesthesiologist's fee, potentially facility fees, pathology fees and other medical test fees. It is important to gather all the cost information for Top Surgery from all of the surgeons you consult with. Additionally, you will also incur post-operative costs. 

There are a number of states that now prohibit discrimination and legally require #insurance companies to provide transgender health coverage. If you live in a state where surgery coverage is not mandated by law, you still might be able to get your top surgery covered via student health insurance. To get Top Surgery #covered by insurance, there are a number of requirements. Keep in mind, that coverage varies between health insurance companies, states, and plans. Read your policy completely, not only the summary, and look for the #exclusions and limitations section. Finally, call your insurance company's member services department, or, contact a #benefits representative.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

FTM chest masculinization

Sometimes top surgery can be covered by insurance depending on the particular insurance plan and policy.  The particular procedure performed will depend on each individual's breast size as well as surgeon preference. 

FTM chest masculinization

FTM top surgery

I have had great luck getting these procedures covered by insurance companies.  of course it depends on your coverage but its worth calling them to find out.  The method used is best determined by your surgeon.  Its VERY important that you do your research before choosing.  Be sure that you choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in FTM top surgery and works closely with the transgender community. 

FTM top surgery

FTM

Thank you for your question. Depending on your breast size, the technique can vary. If you are quite small breasted, sometimes an incision around the nipple to remove the breast tissue is all that is needed. More commonly however, most FTM patient will require a double incision mastectomy with nipple grafting in order to achieve the look that they desire. I recommend you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this procedure and can show you pre and post photos of several patients that they have done. As far as Insurance coverage goes, most insurance plans do cover female to male mastectomy surgery for gender affirmation although this can vary. Whether or not the doctor performing the surgery participates with the insurance will determine what additional fees are needed. In my practice, a self-pay FTM mastectomy and nipple reconstruction is approximately $7000-8000,  which includes anesthesia and surgery center costs. That being said, I do participate with some insurances so many of my patients are covered by their plans. Do your research and make sure you have your surgery done by someone with experience. Best regards.

FTM