Are there any doctors who would take a chance on me with a BMI of 45.8? I'm desperate! (Photo)

im 5'6 284lbs . i had a baby 4 months ago and my belly is really bothering me more now than ever. i have a very small frame and im really just looking to get my belly, love handles, and my back boobs done. im aware that i wont be skinny but i believe under this fat that i can have a smaller upper body. i am super healthy and i recover very fast! ive been under local and general anesthesia and i have also had an epidural with no complications. please dont make me beg !!!

Operative risks and high BMI

There is no avoiding the data... higher BMI's are associated with higher operative risks.  Surgeons optimally would like their patients to by less than 30, but 35+ may be acceptable under some circumstances.  If a surgeon declines to operate, it is not because he or she does not want to schedule a surgery... it is because the risks are too high for an elective operation. Patients often want to accept higher risk because they do not think it will happen to them.   The problem is the statistics are there for a reason and the problems do happen.  Patients with BMI's greater than 40 may be best served with gastric bypass or similar surgery before considering plastic surgery.  You get a long term healthier patient, fewer operative risks, and a better operative result.  Everyone wins.

Boise Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good surgical candidate if my BMI is 45?

I would agree with the other doctors in that you really need to reduce your BMI before considering surgery.  Elective surgery is elective and so there is really no reason to push yourself into a procedure that could potentially lead to complications...or worse.  As I discuss in my forthcoming book on surgical nutrition ("Eat, Drink, Heal:  The Art and Science of Surgical Nutrition"), your level of nutrition plays a huge role in not only how you heal but also the potential for complications during your surgical procedure itself.

No doubt you will find someone who will take the chance but that is really not the best way to approach Plastic Surgery.  Keep in mind cases such as the unfortunate death of Dode West (Kanye West' mother) who passed away after surgery and who was deemed to be a poor surgical candidate by several Plastic Surgeons before one finally said yes.  

A good Plastic Surgeon will look out for you and not just see you as another client.  

I hope that helps and wish you the very best!

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Are there any doctors who would take a chance on me with a BMI of 45.8?

Although I understand your goals, YOU would be the person taking the biggest "chance" having surgery while you are significantly overweight.  The potential risks associated with this type of surgery while oveweight include fatality.  Although easier said than done, invest your time/energy in other modalities of weight loss.   Avoid plastic surgeons until you are a much safer candidate. Best wishes.

Liposuction with BMI of 45.8

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• The operation you need is a gastric bypass -
  • Plastic surgeons don't want to do your surgery not only because it is high risk but because it won't help you in the long run.
  • It removes fat and you will eat it back and it will go to new areas - you will feel just as desperate.
  • If you cannot lose weight, please have your regular doctor refer your for a bypass.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Risk Factors for Elective Surgery are Real

As plastic surgeons, we are very sensitive to body image and self image and appreciate how the procedures we do can result in profoundly positive changes in how someone feels about themselves. We also know that complications can produce very negative outcomes. We have the obligation to do all we can to reduce surgical risks and the responsibility to use our knowledge, experience and good judgment to help our patients make the right choices for themselves. We have to weigh the risk factors in decisions about whether someone is a good candidate for surgery.

Good intentions and wishful thinking do not reduce surgical risk.

Body contouring is not a weight loss tool. Your current weight puts you at great risk for complications from surgery.

You owe it to yourself (and your family) to not subject yourself to an unduly risky operation that could have profound consequences for your health, appearance and finances.

Channel your feelings of desperation to motivation to lose weight in a healthy fashion, not to unhealthy or risky alternatives. Think of body contouring surgery as your future reward to yourself for achieving your weight loss goals. 

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

We are in the business of making people happy. And we are doctors and interested in keeping people safe. At your BMI it is impossible to create a shape you would find satisfactory and your medical risk is excessive so I would have to say any good doctor that has your best interest at heart will decline cosmetic surgery at your current weight. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover Procedure

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.

Tummy tuck options

Thank you for the question and photos.  Although it is great to have patients at their ideal weight this is not often realistic.  Because of this plus size tummy tuck surgery has seen an increase in demand.  What a plus size tummy tuck does is design a procedure to maximize the improvement in shape and contour while taking into account the special needs that are often present for patients who are still overweight.  My best recommendation is to seek consultations with multiple plastic surgeons and find the one that has experience with this and is comfortable with going forward.  Below you will see a before and after photo link of one of my plus size tummy tuck patients.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

High BMI and mommy makeover surgery

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Your question is not who will give you a chance for surgery. Is indeed, the oposite. there are multiple studies demonstrating complications of great magnitude in patients with BMI > 28. At the end, if you are going to invest all this money is better if you optimize your weight. I think that surgery at this weight will not give you the result that you are looking for.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey