Depressed and hating boobs after augmentation. Is it normal? (Photo)

I had breast augmentation done Dec. 22, 2015 with 533cc natrelle under the muscle. I was a 36a pre surgery if that. I wanted to be a D ish and just for them to look proportionate to my body. The more time that passes the more depressed I get . They are still pointy and have no shape to them whatsoever. I feel like I've had nothing done. I'm not sure if they wil eventually come into their own or if I should start thinking about a revision? They are making me so depressed and crazy. I hate them so much.

I know it's hard, but try not to be too depressed - there's always hope!

Dear Cmoeds, I can imagine how it must feel to go through everything that you have gone through just to get to this point, and not be totally in love with your breasts.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  I hope I can offer a few words of value to you that may make you feel a bit better.  First, you are still sort of on the cusp of the healing curve at only 7 weeks postop, and things may still change with time.  I typically don't start assessing results and considering revisions until about 4 months.  Having said that, sometimes we can look at a situation and sort see "some of the handwriting emerging on the wall."  Such is the case in your situation, so I want to give you something of substance too, and not just a recommendation to "wait and talk to your surgeon."  Understanding that my comments are based only on your descriptions of things and the images you have provided, here's what I can offer.  It appears that before surgery your chest wall was quite broad across, your nipples were naturally widely spaced, and you had very little of your own breast tissue.   Under these circumstances, while 533 cc sounds like a large volume for an implant, it may not wind up being the best size to meet your goals after all.  This is because it may not give you the amount of increased volume you were looking for, and more importantly, it may not be wide enough to "fit" your chest wall width and give you a nice cleavage.  You may need a WIDER implant, and this may mean a bit more volume too, depending upon the projection height you select.  This sort of ties into my next comment, and that is that right now, based upon the images you show, your implants appear to be a bit high and medial, or close together, and this is creating the sort of unnatural, off-center appearance that I think you don't like.  This is something that may change with time, but at this point, it may be unrealistic to expect this much "dropping," or settling of the implants with more time.  That may happen, I don't know for sure, but I would want you to be realistic here too, and open to the possibility that it may not happen to your satisfaction, and in that case, the position of the implants may need to be adjusted, plus or minus changing the size and profile of implants too.  But, as they say, "only time will tell," and in this instance, like I said above, I wouldn't seriously consider revising anything for another 2 months just to give things that chance to improve on their own.  If they don't, then all hope isn't lost.  I know that nobody wants to undergo revisions, but sometimes even in the best of hands this operation needs to be revised to address finer details that didn't get addressed the first time around.  For now, the best thing you can do is remain in close contact with your surgeon and discuss your concerns openly and objectively so that nobody gets the sense that they are hurting each other's feelings.  This is a case where surgeon and patient need to work together to completely understand your (the patient's) goals and do what it takes to get as close to those as possible, so that in the end you, the patient, are happy.  Best of luck!

Depressed and hating breast augmentation

Dear cmoeds,
As I am sure you have heard from the other doctors you are still very early in the healing phase and should expect there to be continued changes as your tight tissue gradually stretches over time. This can be a very quick process for some, and quite lengthy for others. It may be closer to a year before you can appreciate your final result. Regular follow-ups with your surgeon every few months will allow to you monitor your progress photographically, and as you watch the transformation it will likely alleviate your fears. You had a pretty big jump in size for someone starting with small and tight tissue so there is no question it will take time.
Good luck,

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Depressed and hating boobs

HI cmoeds,

So sorry that you are unhappy with your breasts. Give it a bit more time as they appear to be quite swollen and tight still. Have you spoken with your plastic surgeon? It might help you to let him/her know your feelings so that he/she can see you and monitor your progress.
  Your breasts may still come down, so do not despair. Make an appt to discuss our concerns with your surgeon. Hopefully , the breast will become softer over time. If not, you will a least know what could be the next steps to get the breasts that you want.
Dr. Christine Rodgers

Not a Perfect Candidate

Based on where your incisions are located, your surgeon has revealed where your original inframammary crease was located, which in your case is still where your inframammary crease located now. Your original nipple to crease distance was short, and your breast tissue was tightly inelastic.  You were never a candidate for such large implants.  Your surgeon had two options: either obliterate your old fold and have double bubble/dropout, or preserve your fold and have your implants malpositioned too high; you received the latter fortunately.

You were not informed that breast augmentation is not a procedure where everybody can get any size they want, and trying to do so leads to unacceptable results or complications in many.  This is why biodimensional planning is so important to both eliminate complications, but also to educate the patient beforehand as to just what are their limitations. 

I know you 'hate them', but I recommend you keep them in without a revision surgery for at least a year to stretch your tissue out as much as possible. At that time you can be re-evaluated by a revision breast surgery expert to decide how to address your issues. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Brest Augmentation, Breast Implants

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. I ask my patients to wait 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to adapt to the changes in their breast size and shape as well as their overall new body image. There are a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery that feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. And those emotional feelings can change daily turning this transitional time. Remember also that each side of the body heals at a different rate and that you weren't perfectly asymmetric to begin with so although you should be closer in symmetry there will always be differences.

It can take many months to see the final results of surgery. Swelling, soreness, skin repositioning, implant settling must resolve completely before you can make that determination. Once the swelling around the implants has also resolved you can see the final result. Patients often report that they are happier with the implants' shape their cleavage and projection once these changes occur.

I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.
Best wishes or an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Give Things Some Time

After surgery, the breasts swell from the trauma of surgery and the tissues become edematous. This combined with the tightness of the skin and the squeeze of the pectoralis muscle on the implant can give the implants a high and flat appearance as the round implants are squeezed like a pancake against the chest.

As the swelling subsides and the tissues begin to stretch from the weight of implants, the breasts begin to settle. Over the next few months, the implants “drop and fluff” as the soft tissue and the pectoralis muscle relax.

The shape changes from high, flat, and firm to lower, fuller, and softer as the tissue softens and the implants round out - providing more lower pole projection. It will take 3 to 6 months to see a final result. For more info, see the link below.

Give things some time. Your surgeon is best positioned to guide you through this process. Close follow-up is essential.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photos.  Given that you have not yet reached the three month post-op mark, I recommend that you be patient and continue to follow the post-op instructions of your surgeon as you move forward.  During this time, your breast should continue to heal and drop further into place.  If at that point your a still dissatisfied with your result, you should be seen by your operating surgeon to determine what, if anything, can be done for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Depressed and hating boobs after augmentation. Is it normal?

Your implants will drop and look much more natural over the next 2-3 months. See your plastic surgeon and ask about breast implant displacement exercises and a bando which will help speed things up.

So sorry you are having concerns about your breasts. You are still very early in the healing phase and need time for your tissues to stretch and relax and the implants settle. Please give yourself up to 6 months before masking any decisions. Do let your surgeon know about your concerns. If you are not happy at 6 months, consider going smaller. Remember, you had surgery because you were unhappy with your original size.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank for posting your photos and questions.   It takes time for your skin/muscle to stretch and accommodate your implants.  You are less than 2 months out from surgery.  Be patient.  With time, your implants will settle more and the shape will change.  It is way too early to consider revision before you see the final result.  Talk with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best wishes.

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon