Do I need a breast lift? (Photo)

I am 5'3 145lbs and am planning on getting a breast augmentation In November. I have seen several PS, with conflicting information. Do I need a lift or will breast augmentation 500-600cc Hp mentor silicone duel plane work?

Do I need a breast lift?

Thank you for your question.  If your nipple position is higher than the fold beneath your breast and a dual plane breast augmentation could be all that you need.  Checked carefully to see if the nipple is above the fold.  If the nipple is below the fold then likely need a breast lift in addition to implants.  For more information please read below:

Do I need a breast lift?

Thank you for the question and picture.  Unfortunately, the photograph does not provide enough information to allow for good online assessment; you may wish to submit additional photographs, frontal and side view (with your arms by your side) for better online advice.

Generally speaking, it is extremely common to receive different opinions from different plastic surgeons about the best way to treat a specific “problem”. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences. Their opinions may also be shaped by unfavorable results they have encountered in their practices. 

Although these different opinions can be confusing and a source of anxiety for patients, it is good for patients to understand the different options available. Ultimately, it will be up to each patient to do their due diligence and select their plastic surgeon carefully. Part of this selection process will involve the patients becoming comfortable with the plastic surgeon's experience level and abilities to achieve their goals as safely and complication free as possible.

The need for a lift is a personal decision made by the patient

after she is fully informed of what the augmentation will do.  If you would be happy with a just a larger, fuller version of what you have, then all you need is an augmentation.  And because you're in the borderline droopy zone, I would recommend that you only have an augmentation and then decide if you need a lift later.  Positioning your implant would use your ideal nipple position and not your anatomic one as to minimize the need to lower your fold.

Curtis Wong, MD

Do I need a lift?

Thank you for your question and photo.  You are in a bit of a "gray area" on whether you need a lift or not.  You do have a fair amount of breast tissue falling below the bottom crease of the breast, which is one of the determining factors on whether you would benefit from a lift.  A large implant can sometimes take up excess skin, but often times you will require a lift in the near future if it's not done at the time of implant placement (often in a couple of years). 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants with Lift

It is usually not a good idea to have implants done without a lift, since the weight of implants can stretch the skin and increase sagging. A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is used for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy.  This is called an #Augmentation/Mastopexy.  The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. 

#FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast. A hybrid operation may use both an implant and fat to provide the best contours of the lifted breast.

I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Do I need a lift

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam, measurements, and understanding your expectations--it is hard to advise.  A large implant will fill the breast, but it will not centralize the nipple/areolar complex, and it will not prevent the breast tissue and implant from drooping.  Discuss your goals with your surgeon.  Good Luck.  

Do i need a breast lift?

HI newmommy,

It is difficult to say whether you will need a  breast lift or not. It all depends on the look that you want to achieve. Sometimes I need to make this decision at the time of surgery after I have seated the patient up during surgery and it tell the patient this if she is on the border of needing a lift. This allows me to decide what is the best look for the patient in real time.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  You are on the borderline between needing a lift and not.  I would recommend an in-person consultation to accurately determine this.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift or not

From your photo, it appears that you may be OK without adding scars on your breast to lift up your nipple or remove excess skin. If your nipple is above the bottom breast fold, having a sufficient implant to restore volume to deflated skin and tissue should be good enough.  There are some exceptions to this rule; notably, if your distance from your nipple to the bottom breast fold is significant. If the distance is extensive, you may benefit from removing excess lower pole of skin to avoid a "rock in the sock" look. All the best!

Sean T. Lille, MD

Do I need a breast lift?

You got the lingo down. It is so hard to say. It seems like with that volume that you will not need a lift because it will likely fill you out. Being that said, I have had patients that on exam they were borderline and what I do in that case is quote and charge for the lift and if it is needed I then do it if I do not need to do it then give the patient their money back. Sometime it simply is too hard to know until you get into the operating room. 

Richard J. Brown, MD