Will my boob appear bigger once it drops? (Photo)

This is me 4 days post op. I feel my breat size is smaller than I thought I'd be I was a 34 B and put in 415cc. When I drop would it look fuller and less square?

Will my boob appear bigger once it drops?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. The answer is yes, your breasts will appear more full as the implant drops. Implants are very high initially after the surgery and then they drop over the course of 3-6 months. As your implant drops the bottom of your breast will become more round and full, the lower outside portion will become more round, and the top will become less full. The link shows a woman going through the recovery process. Congratulations again on your surgery.

Implant dropping

Hi there congratulations, hope you are pleased, early postoperative period is definitely marked by significant postoperative swelling. This settles down over the first 3 months and the implants find their palce by 6 months. Usually once settled most folks report them looking bigger with the general swelling subsided. Good luck 

Ross Farhadieh, MBBS, MD, FRACS, FRCS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Disappointed by BBA size results

It is true that the breasts will appear slightly more augmented once the implants fully drop. Currently, the implants are full in the upper pole of the breast. Once the implant fully drops down and is situated directly behind the breast tissue, it will be complimenting the fill of the breast tissue to give a more pronounced augmentation.

As regards to finding your breast size smaller than you hoped, I humbly request you to not be discouraged. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for. You should wait 3-6 months for your final results.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher. Currently, there may be excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45), so in time, this will change.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

Please give time for the “drop and fluff.”

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

Patience is key!

I also find it important to tell you that although you give importance to larger looking breasts, what should matter most is that the implant looks good aesthetically and feels comfortable. The implant has to fit YOUR body dimensions. The more you deviate from the proper fit, the more fake your breasts will look.

We surgeons use what is called tissue-based planning. The planning takes into account the effects of implants on tissues over time, risks of excessive stretch, excessive thinning, visible or palpable implant edges, visible traction rippling, ptosis (Sagging), and breast tissue wasting.

To determine the adequate implant size, breast measurements such as base width of the existing breast tissue, breast skin stretch, and nipple-to-inframammary fold distance. The combination of these measurements will help determine tissue coverage and the required implant volume to optimally fill the breasts. I believe this is what was done for you, and if so, then going beyond the current size, will not be a good idea. We want you to focus on long-term satisfaction rather than short-term satisfaction.

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details. You should also share any concerns regarding expectations of surgery with them.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

It appears that your implants have been placed submuscular which results in the pectoral muscle becoming spastic and holding the implant high and firm.

Generally your muscle will start to relax around the 3 week mark and will continue for 6-12 months. 
The implant will drop to fill out the lower pole of the breast resulting in a rounder, larger - softer appearance. 
Many of our patients refer to this stage as 'alien boobs' they will become more natural looking and less 'square' 
Talk to your plastic surgeon to see if they recommend post surgical massages to assist in this process.  

Mahmood Kara, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon