Can I get the look I want (500cc) when I have very little breast tissue and a sightly uneven chest wall? (photos)

Will I be able to achieve the look I want? I'm guessing I'll need 500-600 cc because of how small I am. My measurements are 28,24,33 and I'm 5'8" 110lbs. Would you recommend under the muscle and if so why? And will round or shaped implants give me the look Im trying to achieve? Thank you

Breast augmentation

Hello Mom of 3-

Your children have probably stretched your breast skin out during pregnancy and therefore you skin should be able to embrace 500-600cc implants. Implants should always be placed under the pectorals major muscle and this means that only the upper and inner implant would be covered as there is no muscle below this level. Putting the implant in this submuscular space decreases the risk of capsular contracture (hardening), creates a smoother upper breast pole and creates a better cleavage. Smooth round gel implants are optimal in my opinion as I believe the textured (shaped) implants have higher contracture and revision rates. Regarding the breast contour postoperatively, the shape of your breast is determined by your skin envelope and not the shape of the implants. 

Good luck to you. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right implant and surgical approach

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• The size you have in mind is likely to be in the range of your 'wish' photos.
  • They all look like round implant, not anatomical.
  • The asymmetry of your chest wall needs to be evaluated in person and the same is true for choosing an implant.
  • But you are very tall, thin and have little breast tissue but want large implants.
  • So rippling in implants over the muscle is more likely to show.
  • This is more likely with saline than gel implants.
  • But even gel implants under the muscle may not hide natural implant rippling. 
  • There are many other pros and cons to the two approaches and they are best discussed with your surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Can I get the look I want (500cc) when I have very little breast tissue and a sightly uneven chest wall?

Thank you for the question and pictures. There are pros and cons to the placement of breast implants and the “sub muscular” position versus the "sub glandular position”. I will try to outline some of the differences here; you may find the attached link helpful as well.I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position. This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).
The submuscular positioning also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular contraction) is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.
On the other hand, sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants seen with flexion of the pectoralis major muscle) they can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Therefore, I ask that my patients not base their communication preoperatively OR their satisfaction with the outcome of surgery postoperatively, on achieving a specific cup size. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers, viewing the patient's breasts in the upright and supine position, are very helpful during the breast implant selection process.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Can I get the look I want when I have very little breast tissue and am slightly concave at the chest wall?

Based on the pictures you have shown and what you have described about your body habitus, it seems very unlikely that you will be able to achieve the look that these women have. If you have very small breasts and a very small body habitus, then extremely large breasts, e.g. 500 to 600 cc, can lead to many complications. Therefore I do not recommend that large of an implant on a small frame.

Choice of implant size is ultimately left to the patient.

There's no reason that you cannot have implants 500 to 600 mL. There lots of variables going into the types of implants available and placement above or below the pectoralis muscle. These are issues that will be discussed with your plastic surgeon.