Is This Right for Me? (photo)

I am 21 I have had 1 child and I had preeclampcea sorry for the spelling but I gained a lot of weight very fast I also didn't have not have the best care any way I lost the weight 35+ pounds and I have a flap of skin me and my daughter call it jelly belly and I can't even feel muscle in my lower abs when I do my crunches and leg throws, is there some thing else I can try? Or is a tummy tuck the best answer? I'm too young and I want my body back

Doctor Answers 8


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes you are the perfect candidate for having a tummy tuck. You have hanging skin and fat that can only be helped with surgery

New York Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or not?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, a Tummy Tuck would be the option for you to rid yourself of your "Jelly Belly". Unfortunately nothing less invasive will give you a desirable result.If you are not finished with child bearing I would recommend waiting until that time.


James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Is This Right for Me?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Whether a surgical TT is correct is more dependent on if you are planning more children. If yes than I would recommend you wait til you are done with child bearing. 

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is good to exercise in order to stay fit and healthy. However, there is no exercise that will tighten your skin. That takes an abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

#TummyTuck is the Best Option

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your photos, a tummy tuck is the best option to restore your figure. With the degree of skin excess, no amount of working out will result in skin tightening. Considering your age, you should be sure that you aren"t planning on having more children before you decide as this will change your results.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Best of luck,

Vincent Marin, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Tummy tuck at a young age

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Tummy tuck is likely the only to correct the skin and muscle issues that you describe and show in your photos.  If you are sure that you are not having other children, then your age is not a concern.  If you believe there is a chance you will have another child, a tummy tuck is not in your best interest at this time.

Hope this helps.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD (retired)
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Working out or Tummy Tuck?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Working out will always improve how you look but given the amount of extra skin that you have, your stomach is not going to be flat without a tummy tuck.  Sorry to hear about your rough pregnancy.

Is This Right for Me?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question, and for the posted photos. Unfortuantely, once the skin has lost its elasticity, it is gone. Exercise will help with weight and muscle tone, but won't tighten your skin. A tummy tuck is the way to get your body back. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.