Is it normal to gain weight returning to workout routine after Mommy Makeover?

I had a Mommy Makeover almost 12 weeks ago. I started working out after 6 weeks starting out slow. For the last 3 weeks I have been switching running 5k and Crossfit every other day. In the last 3 weeks I have put on 5 lbs and I have been eating right! I am feeling a bit frustrated since it seems the more I exercise the more weight I gain! Any ideas what could be going on?

Weight Increase Concern after a Mommy Makeover

Most likely you are experiencing a lot swelling and inflammation. Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Weight gain after plastic surgery

It often takes six months for all swelling to resolve completely following a mommy makeover.  It is possible that with the recent increase in exercise you have added some temporary swelling.  As long as the swelling is not severe, it would be reasonable to continue the exercise.  Obviously make sure that you are not consuming too many calories.  Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Return of muscle mass may lead to weight gain after mommy makeover.

First of all you still have some swelling even at your stage of convalescence. However when you return to physical activity due to increase muscle mass both from swelling within the muscles as well as increase lean muscle mass some weight gain might be noticed. This does not mean that you're putting on any fat.

Mommy make-over - can exercise lead to weight gain?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Congratulations on being so very fit!
  • Just getting on the scales makes most women crazy - it is better to avoid them.
  • Given your work out and eating right, if you need to lose weight you will.
  • I doubt very much that you are gaining fat -
  • You are probably gaining water weight - from the impact of running on still healing tissues or the effect of more impact on the lower leg muscles themselves. 
  • Water retention is a normal response to mild repetitive injury. 
  • Many women find it helps to work out in their surgical jump suit, Spanx or spandex outfits - for the first six months after a mommy make-over.
  • If you aren't doing that, you might consider it.
  • Or you could cut back on the running and cross fit for a while.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Is it normal to gain weight returning to work out routine after Mommy Makeover?

If you are training vigorously and eating a balanced diet and are gaining weight, you may be either putting on muscular weight or retained fluid weight (or a combination of the two).  Check the circumferential measurements of your waist, arms and thighs.  If your arms and thighs are increasing is it most likely due to increasing muscle mass, if it is in the waist you may be dealing with retained fluid associated with your surgery.   Wearing a light abdominal compression garment when you work out may help.  Also check back with your surgeon, if it is a question of retained fluid they may be able to aspirate it.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain 2-1/2 Months Post Mommy Makeover Even Though I Am Working Out - Why?

Tummy tucks, liposuction, and breast augmentations, even though they come out beautifully, injure a great deal of tissue.  This tissue doesn't actually heal for about 6 months, and sometimes longer.  Working out at 9 or 10 weeks post Mommy Makeover can lead to fluid retention in tissue that has not completely healed. 

It would appear paradoxical that the more you work out, the more weight you gain, but actually it is quite logical when you realize that recently injured tissue holds fluid in temporarily. 

If you were my patient, I would suggest you continue to work out but perhaps at a lower intensity until your body starts shedding the retained excess fluid.

Thank you for your question and I can understand your frustration.  Occasionally patients returning to their former level of activity will see some increase in swelling to their tissues, which leads to weight gain through water retention.  Additionally after several months with a lightened exercise load, increases in weight can occur with the increased growth of your muscles with your heavier routines.  Hope this helps.